Engine steam clean - Garden hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine steam clean - Garden hose?

So one of my friends at work said he steam cleaned his engine by using a garden hose nozzle.

Apparently he took off the intake at the carb, started the engine and let it get hit, had someone give the engine a little gas, and sprayed the mist into the carb for a few min.

He changed his plugs afterward (in case carbon deposits breaking off fouled them) and they were CLEAN.

Anyone tried this? I know with the seafoam treatment you are supposed to let it stall out the engine, but this is a little different.

I'm thinking of supplying this to the mythbusters crew.

Re: Engine steam clean - Garden hose?

you do that and let us know how it turns out
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

dude, i wouldn't do that.

Comment

-double post-
        Last edited by Sean_99_3.8; 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM.

-Y87
        Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

WTF?
          Yea do it and let us know how it went

-Y87
          Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

I'm more opposed to doing it because it's such a b* to take out my plugs (I'd want to see if it worked.)

I found a few mentions of this technique online, and so far all I see is praise. No stories of blown engines. I need an oil change soon, I'll probably do this right before the change.

Comment

water inside engine usually=bad

-Y87

Comment

ive killed many a 4x4 engine with water sounds a little fishy

Comment

ok, for one thing, if he had the car running and used the hose and sprayed water into it, the engine would hydrolock.

and i have no idea how it is possible to "take the intake off of the carb" because the carb sits on the intake.

now, it IS possible to do this, after the engine is warmed up, you can pour a tiny bit of water down the carb, it will make its way to the cylinders and the carbon will break off.

i wouldnt recommend doing it in any FI engine though

edit* there is nothing to submit to mythbusters, because it works.

Comment

I think the key word from the OP is "mist"
                    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                      I think the key word from the OP is "mist"
                      Mist = water. It would hydrolock. I'm staying with it that its a bad idea too.
                      Originally posted by LETZRIDE
                      I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

Originally posted by turbohead2332
                        Mist = water. It would hydrolock. I'm staying with it that its a bad idea too.
                        yeah, you dont do it with the car running

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro
                          yeah, you dont do it with the car running
                          I read that, but even still, wouldn't you get water inside the engine?
                          Originally posted by LETZRIDE
                          I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

I wouldn't suggest doing it as described at the start of this thread, but pouring water in the carb as you hold the RPM up will clean the carbon out of the cylinders. Now you use a small amount of water, enough to knock the RPM down a bit, usually poured from a CUP. Plugs will come out looking brand new . This would clean the cylinders in a FI motor as well, but I wouldn't use a garden hose to do it. Maybe use a spray bottle or pressurized sprayer (one that you put the liquid in and then pump up) it doesn't take allot of water to do this. It is also not called STEAM CLEANING.

Brian
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok I think my first post was a bit misunderstood. You use a sprayer attachment with a mist setting and spray a fog of mist into a running engine while holding the throttle open enough to keep from killing the engine.

Pouring water in would only get to the first 2 cylinders, the fog would get all of them.

(I don't know who thought I meant to remove the carb, I meant to take the intake off of the carb.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X