Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine steam clean - Garden hose?

Originally posted by GinsuGuy585

(I don't know who thought I meant to remove the carb, I meant to take the intake off of the carb.)

You must mean the AIR CLEANER.

Brian
    sigpic

Comment

Pouring water in would only get to the first 2 cylinders, the fog would get all of them.
      Not with a carb, anything that goes down the carb will get to all cylinders. A FI motor, the front cylinders would get MORE water, but they all would get some. TONS of turbulence inside the intake of a running motor.

Brian
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
        Not with a carb, anything that goes down the carb will get to all cylinders. A FI motor, the front cylinders would get MORE water, but they all would get some. TONS of turbulence inside the intake of a running motor.

Brian

he means that the suction from the pistons will suck all of the water up if you pour it in, but the mist would be like the atomization of the gas

Comment

Well since our carb (butterfly, not really a carb) is in the front, if you pour it in, it will only go to the first two cylinders. There isn't enough turbulence to suck it into the rear cylinders, thus atomization is needed. Besides, with a horizontal opening how would you pour it in anyways??? :)

Comment

It would be hard to get any in pouring it, hence the spray bottle I mentioned earlier. If you did get any in pouring it in there is enough vacuum and turbulence It would reach all cylinders, just not evenly.

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

Well since our carb (butterfly, not really a carb) is in the front, if you pour it in, it will only go to the first two cylinders. There isn't enough turbulence to suck it into the rear cylinders, thus atomization is needed. Besides, with a horizontal opening how would you pour it in anyways??? :)
              you mean a throttle body?

Comment

why would you even want to try this? seafoam was made for a reason, and i bet it is alot safer and probably works better than just water. i have seafoamed alot of cars and it works great tons of carbon will come off with it. too bad i forgot to seafoam the camaro when i first bought it, put new plugs in it the day i bought it and im afraid to foul them. i would deffinatly reccomend you just buy yourself a can of seafoam and do it right the first time. i just cant see how putting any amount of water into your engine can be good. water promotes rust and you dont want that in your motor, now i know it most likely wont rust due to it being full of oil. but if the water causes the oil to wash off the cylider walls theres going to be metal to metal contact, as with seafoam its a petrolium based product so it will have some sort of lubrication. to add to all of that i personally think chemicals clean better than just water. for example wouldnt you like to clean your car with soap and water instead of just water?

Comment

Originally posted by HossV6
                  why would you even want to try this? seafoam was made for a reason, and i bet it is alot safer and probably works better than just water. i have seafoamed alot of cars and it works great tons of carbon will come off with it. too bad i forgot to seafoam the camaro when i first bought it, put new plugs in it the day i bought it and im afraid to foul them. i would deffinatly reccomend you just buy yourself a can of seafoam and do it right the first time. i just cant see how putting any amount of water into your engine can be good. water promotes rust and you dont want that in your motor, now i know it most likely wont rust due to it being full of oil. but if the water causes the oil to wash off the cylider walls theres going to be metal to metal contact, as with seafoam its a petrolium based product so it will have some sort of lubrication. to add to all of that i personally think chemicals clean better than just water. for example wouldnt you like to clean your car with soap and water instead of just water?
                  Since when was oil water soluble? This has been around allot longer then seafoam and removes all carbon from the cylinders. You have allot better chance of washing the oil off the cylinder walls with something petroleum based then with water. Holley and a few other big name manufactures use to make water injection systems that injected water as you drove. This died with carburetors as it was made to work with them.

Go read the ingredients in seafoam,

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

The trans treatment and engine treatment contain the same ingredients in slightly different percentages. Main ingredients are Pale oil and naphtha (that is a solvent also comes in carb cleaner). After reading that I'll leave it at the parts store with the Slick 50. No wonder it fouls your plugs when you use it, putting oil in the intake can do that.

Brian
                  sigpic

Comment

Well I might not do this as soon as I intended, we just got 22" of snow here and I don't feel like freezing my a* off.

Comment

Well I might not do this as soon as I intended, we just got 22" of snow here and I don't feel like freezing my a* off.
                      where do u live?

we're getting hammered in the B LO

Comment

I'm thinking of supplying this to the mythbusters crew.

Dude do that. i like that show. they do good work
                        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                          Since when was oil water soluble? This has been around allot longer then seafoam and removes all carbon from the cylinders. You have allot better chance of washing the oil off the cylinder walls with something petroleum based then with water. Holley and a few other big name manufactures use to make water injection systems that injected water as you drove. This died with carburetors as it was made to work with them.

Go read the ingredients in seafoam,

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

The trans treatment and engine treatment contain the same ingredients in slightly different percentages. Main ingredients are Pale oil and naphtha (that is a solvent also comes in carb cleaner). After reading that I'll leave it at the parts store with the Slick 50. No wonder it fouls your plugs when you use it, putting oil in the intake can do that.

Brian
                          the water injection systems were made to raise the compression which gives you more power

Comment

tkoforpresident: I'm in the ROC; It took a record 2 hours to clear my driveway! (long driveway)

I wonder if anyone has rigged up water injection for non-FI engines.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X