Car is really screwed up, help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car is really screwed up, help!!

HI all, here is my current situation. Yesturday I was driving and all of a sudden my power steering failed. I saw the "check gauges" light come on and figured it stalled (had the stereo on, didn't hear the engine). Any way, re-started the car and everthing was fine until I went to turn the steering wheel. Same thing happend again. I checked the gauges (no SES light or anything) and I saw the battery which is usually at 3/4's was just past half. As well, my temp started to sky rocket up to the 3/4's area (usually in the 1/4 area or below).
    Any one know whats wrong??
    I had the cooling system flushed about a month ago, and I have a 180 degree thermo.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: nofear_102 ]</p>
    97 firebird <br />Y87<br />Flowmaster 80 exhaust <br />SLP CAI<br />T-Tops<br />Balding tires!!

Sounds to me like your power steering pump went out. If that is the case, it's pretty expensive to get fixed at the dealer. If I remember correctly it was around $500-$700 to fix for me.

I went once before I took it to the dealer and was ertarded enough to go to pep-boys. It was a lot cheaper but the damn thing went out a year later. :mad: Thats when I went to the dealer and took it like a man...no vaseline here!!!
    <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

Would the power steering pump dying cause the temperature to rise? I hope this isn't 2 problems I have!!!!
      97 firebird <br />Y87<br />Flowmaster 80 exhaust <br />SLP CAI<br />T-Tops<br />Balding tires!!

Comment

Loss of Power, High Temp, and Loss of Power Steering?

All things driven by the belt?

Power Steering Pump
        Water Pump
        Alternator

Perhaps you should check your serpentine belt for Wear/Breakage/Slipping
        1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

This may be a shot in the dark, but maybe the alternator went bad. Your Temp is going up because the electric fans aren't coming on, and it may have stalled because the lack of electric going to the modules. I could very well be wrong, but I'm just trying to give some ideas.
          Good Luck.

-Marc
          sigpic

Comment

If the fans arn't coming on anymore, I don't think the car would run at all. Usually, if you lose your alterntor all together, you have some time, while the car runs off of the battery yet. But since there is nothing charging the battery, you only have so much time.

(I also could be very wrong [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I'm pretty new at this stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Distephano ]</p>
            1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

Nobody here is gonna wanna hear this but im gonna say it anyhow. QUIT being CHEAP and take it to a dealer or somone qualified enough to figure it out. You're problem could involve a heck of a lot of problems all happening at once. Further and im not trying to be a dick. but a power steering pump isnt going to cause the temp gauge to go up, and its also UNLIKELY but not impossible for the alternator to cause that. The fans are designed around the possibility of the alternator going out and thus SHOULD WORK ANYHOW. sounds to me as though the water pump is going bad and the car is overheating WHICH would cause you're problem. But i cant be sure without knowing what the car does FIRST HAND. So as i prepare to get flamed im gonna repeat TAKE IT TO SOMONE QUALIFIED to look at it.
              2001 Black S10 Xtreme 4.3L A4<br />*RedLineVSix*<br />\"Throwin sparks, draggin frame\"

Comment

Sounds a bit like my problem a few months ago. Replace PS Pump, alternator, and water pump. All on core exchanges from Autozone or Pepboys... only spent about $200 total and car runs beautifully. Paying a dealership to do installs you can do yourself is just like throwing A LOT of money away.

Sam
                AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

Doesn't sounds like the power steering pump to me. Unless maybe the pully is somehow slipping. WIth the power steering AND over heating going bad at the same time it sounds like its a belt/pully problem but i do agree with Jason. If you don't see the problem right off, and it shud be easy to notice if its a pully/belt problem, take it to a dealer. (and hold on to your wallet TIGHT!) hahahaha :cool:
                  1997 3.8 30th Anniversary Edition<br />SLP Cold Air Induction<br />Flowmaster with duel tips<br />Bosch Platnum Plugs<br />MSD wires<br />and a nice dent on the front left...thanks Petr Shedran!<p>...more mods to come!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Sounds to me like your power steering pump went out. If that is the case, it's pretty expensive to get fixed at the dealer. If I remember correctly it was around $500-$700 to fix for me. <hr></blockquote> geeezuss you paid that [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]

Comment

I had the exact same problem. The cause: My belt tensioner broke causing the belt to slip, sometimes completely off. Check to make sure that the belt is still on. If it isn't, put it back on. While the cars running, look at how the belt rides on the pulley and see if its right in the center, or if its hanging off a little bit. If its hanging off you probably need a new tensioner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X