Won't make power after 3500 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't make power after 3500 RPM

Okay, I have a 99 Camaro and about 3 weeks ago I noticed it had been a little slower than normal and now it will hardly even move. It revs okay but when under load it can't get past 3500 RPM. It just totally bogs down. It takes about 1 mile for me to get up to 75 miles an hour. Does anyone have any ideas? If you need more information just let me know. Thank you guys in advance for any help.

Re: Won't make power after 3500 RPM

that seems to me the problem is in the fuel system, does it starts ok? or needs to 2-3 crankings to start... need to check the fuel pressure, maybe your fuel pump is weak an provides insufficent fuel pressure or fuel volume to supply your engine needs under heavy load. Other possible cause is the fuel filter maybe its clogged and you need to replace it, i say go first for the fuel filter, or what you think guys?

Comment

yeah fuel could be it, but it could also be a bad coil pack couldn't it? i've heard some coils don't kick in until the upper rpms so you won't know its bad if you just test it at idle.

Comment

^^ Bad Cat ^^ Bad Cat ^^

Seriously, a bad cat can cause those exact symptoms. Of course so does a potato in the tailpipe. :)
        2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
        Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Yea, it starts right up with no problems. I already replaced the fuel filter but that didn't fix it. I was just driving it and I had to turn around and come home because it felt like it was going to die. Thanks for all of your help guys, I think I'm going to have to just take it in on Monday. Hopefully it's just the cat but I'll have my mechanic try to figure it out.
          Last edited by Roldie; 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue02
            ^^ Bad Cat ^^ Bad Cat ^^

Seriously, a bad cat can cause those exact symptoms. Of course so does a potato in the tailpipe. :)
            bad cat... same thing happened to me; the car struggled, and anything around 4000 rpms when driving all i would hear is misfiring and it couldnt make it to redline to shift
            2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X