Yikes! I don't know what happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes! I don't know what happened

About 15 minutes ago, I remote-started my car, like usual with no issues. I got ready and head out, then get into the car. I forgot to put the key in the ign, pressed the brake and killed the motors. It happens when you are in a hurry. I was like..DOH!

So I turned the key and the engine wasn't starting like usual. I kept cranking, nothing. I stopped and turned the key to the ON position to check the fuel pump, I heard it motorize, then tried again. It eventually began to start, but it misfiring and boggin' like crazy. Exhaust was spitting everywhere and white smoke can be seen.

Honestly, I don't know what happened. I recently got my headers put on and an oil change too. I'm getting ready to check the wires, then oil. My alt lately has been whiny, but I'm the correct voltage, I think..

Yesterday and the day before that and a week after the install, the car has been fine.

By the way it's a 1996 Camaro 3.8.

Repairs since ownership:
    ign module
    new coil packs
    new spark plugs and wires
    oil change at 3k or 3 months
    fuel filter
    new intake and exhaust including high flow cat, flowmaster muffler, then pacesetter headers

Re: Yikes! I don't know what happened

Update:

Unplugged the battery and hooked it back up. Car started right up with no issues. Weird.

I'm starting to notice a coolant leak right under the water pump. It's a drip leak, not too bad, but I called in an estimate at the shop I usually go to and they said about 450 installed. I'm just gonna keep a full bottle of coolant in the car and maybe look into an electric pump.

Comment

I would not pay that much for a water pump replacement. i wanna say i picked up my water pump for less then 50 bucks w/ tax and me and a buddy did it in under an hour. If you have any mechanical know how at all, it will be an easy job. Plus i know from experiance, it will only get worse and will eventully leave u stranded.

hell lol, drive down here $100 bucks in gas
      Buy water pump here $50 bucks
      Ill put it on for a case of beer $20 bucks

their i saved ya 280 bucks.
      Last edited by lilchubby; 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

it sounds like maybe the engine loaded up on fuel in your first post. the water pump is actually really easy to install. there is an o-ring on your heater hoses above the water pump that fails quite often - so i would clean things up and run it to make sure its the water pump leaking.

Comment

The water pump is easy to install. I got mine at AdvancedAuto, less than $50. make sure you get the two plastic sleeves for the heater connection, the old plastic will be dry rotted and likely fall apart when you touch it.... come to think : this could be your leak.... check these connections first. If they do break you can simply plug the two ports until you get the new plsatic pieces and O-rings :tup:

Comment

Originally posted by lilchubby
            I would not pay that much for a water pump replacement. i wanna say i picked up my water pump for less then 50 bucks w/ tax and me and a buddy did it in under an hour. If you have any mechanical know how at all, it will be an easy job. Plus i know from experiance, it will only get worse and will eventully leave u stranded.

hell lol, drive down here $100 bucks in gas
            Buy water pump here $50 bucks
            Ill put it on for a case of beer $20 bucks

their i saved ya 280 bucks.
            :banana: ROTFLMAO:banana:
            He's right though, fix it now while it's cheap.... You'll get to partying and having a good time AND forget to watch the temp guage just that one time, until... rattle + rattle X knock+knock/hiss\steam = stranded. Wrecker Bill + rental car + blown head gasket AND the water pump you were gonna have to buy anyway...
            Weird is right on the remote start problem (Note to self... Do Not do that ANYmore! :) )
            Last edited by Blue02; 01-15-2008, 08:06 PM.
            2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
            Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X