Harmonic Balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic Balancer

ok well i've had a leak from my harmonic balancer for a while now. i've tryed repair sleeve etc nothing works.

my question is...in the pic below you can see the key hole on the balancer. is there a part on crankshaft that should slid in there?
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Re: Harmonic Balancer

yes, The balancer can only go on 1 way. Its really a strait up simple job.

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2
      yes, The balancer can only go on 1 way. Its really a strait up simple job.

i've done it alot.... but my last time i was putting it back in i noticed that there was nothing on the crank
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
        i've done it alot.... but my last time i was putting it back in i noticed that there was nothing on the crank
        :eek: thats not good......there should be something there

Comment

the car runs fine the only problem is a oil leak that she will get after driving for a while. and the leak is only a quater size amount of oil. sometimes more.

so i don't have any plans to fix it any time soon. i was just thinking about it

now that the piece that is missing attached to the crankshaft itself or is it s little piece that isn't there?
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

excuse for stroker kit?"????

Comment

The piece missing is a keyway It's not attached to either the crank or balancer, but slides in the grove in both to keep the balancer in time.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                The piece missing is a keyway It's not attached to either the crank or balancer, but slides in the grove in both to keep the balancer in time.

sweet thank you. that is what i thought
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

most auto parts stores sell keyways in an assortment pack btw...
                  at least you dont have to go to the dealer.
                  foggy headlights? wetsand... buff... WAX!!!
                  if nissan motorsports is nismo does that mean honda motorsports is homo?

Comment

When you have your leak, Does it get on the front of the balancer or does it get on the back where the crank triggers and miss fire timers are? Fixing the leak could be as simple as putting silicone on the damper bolt and washer.
                    sigpic

Comment

it leaks down the block and makes it look like the oil pan is leaking.... i've tryed sil. but didn't hold. i've had this problem for a WHILE.

i don't even think about it anymore.
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

If your keyway is missing, the balancer is going to spin differently/slip on the crank. Did I read right that you have replaced the seal and that didn't fix the leak? as that sounds like what it is to me. -- Also check your balancer hub to make sure there's no burrs or damage on the hub (aka "snout") -- anything that might damage the seal or keep it from sealing.

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
                          it leaks down the block and makes it look like the oil pan is leaking.... i've had this problem for a WHILE.

X2 ...
                          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Pathogen
                            If your keyway is missing, the balancer is going to spin differently/slip on the crank. Did I read right that you have replaced the seal and that didn't fix the leak? as that sounds like what it is to me. -- Also check your balancer hub to make sure there's no burrs or damage on the hub (aka "snout") -- anything that might damage the seal or keep it from sealing.

hey jenn, do you have a stock balancer, and keyway laying around. let me know. i'll pick them up.

who ever had the car before me(over 5 years ago) f'ed up the balancer. it looks like i have 3 freaking key ways lol. so that's probably the problem.
                            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Umm, this is a joke thread...right? You didn't really put the balancer on the crank sans key. I mean... you're "the chick who sprays", right? :eek:
                              2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                              Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X