so this is a "air dam"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so this is a "air dam"?

i've been confused as to what a air dam is. so i did a google image search and found this below. so its the black piece that is under the car. my 98 firebird 3.8 doesnt have one..so could that be why it overheats? i took the one of my 97 camaro 3.8 and i'm gonna install it later. its the piece that some people put "BLACKHAWK" lettering on right?

[I]A great pic of a cool '92 Firehawk. Notice the air dam installed up underneath the car. This dam was put in place to force cool air up into the radiator to help with cooling.[/I]

Re: so this is a "air dam"?

yes it is the black thing under the radiator. And yea it can cause you to overheat if you have no air being forced up over the radiator to cool it down
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Yep, that's probably why your car overheats. Air's not being pushed up through the radiator to cool off the coolant, so the hot coolant is circulating through the engine again and not cooling it any.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

I call :bs:
        Even if you don't have the air dam on, you still have a cooling fan to cool the coolant...
        2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
        Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

WTF? You've been driving without that? Im suprised the transmission works! Get it in ASAP!
          sigpic
          98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by Blue02
            Even if you don't have the air dam on, you still have a cooling fan to cool the coolant...
            Sorry buddy but not BS. Ive seen it kill many trannys. Only because we didnt know why...
            sigpic
            98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9
              Sorry buddy but not BS. Ive seen it kill many trannys. Only because we didnt know why...
              i dont know, but i'm kinda with blue02. i didn't have my air dam in for two weeks or so and didn't notice a difference at all. i dont race or anything so it's not like i push my car to it's limits soooo...

Comment

Go on a 2 hour drive without the air dam on there in summer time, you will notice your cars engine going to SH!T because your temp gauge is in the red. GM put it on there for a reason to cool the radiator while going at higher speeds. If you live in higher temps like AZ you will notice the affects for having the air dam on. Believe me it cools the car at higher speeds. No Camaro/Firebird in AZ wolud still be on the road if it didn't have the air dam on it. But if you want to go ahead run it without it and see what happens.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Blue02
                  At high cruising speeds, the capacity of the two fans are greatly inferior to the cooling ability of the diverted air. In order for your car's cooling system to work, it needs to have alot of air flowing over it, pretty much constantly...When it comes to cooling down, your fans are your car's last-ditch option, not it's first choice.

Originally posted by tmon930
                  i dont know, but i'm kinda with blue02. i didn't have my air dam in for two weeks or so and didn't notice a difference at all. i dont race or anything so it's not like i push my car to it's limits soooo...
                  What environment were you driving in? I can promise you that at no time during those two weeks, was your car ever on the highway

Comment

how come other cars dont have them?

Comment

Originally posted by JumpInTheFire.com
                      what car doesn't have one?

Comment

because they're designed differently. With regards to F-bodies, they need them

Comment

my 87 and 97 mustang doesnt have them that i know of

Comment

my 87 and 97 mustang doesnt have them that i know of
                            take pics of the front end. Do they have any openings in the front to get air in?

Comment

its not like the firebird camaro air dam.

but 94-04 mustangs have an open grill where the hood latch is. then an open spot at the bottom of the bumper

pre 94 fox body mustangs have the opening at the bottom of the bumper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X