Chicago area help with fuel pump install - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago area help with fuel pump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago area help with fuel pump install

Is there anybody on here who has replaced their fuel pump themselves and have the tools to do it again? the shop here wants over a grand to install one, but i would much rather do it myself and gain the experience, however i can't bring myself to cut a hole above my tank without someone there who has done it before... ill throw anyone who can help me out money for their trouble
    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Re: Chicago area help with fuel pump install

I'd come over, point, laugh, and flick lit cigarettes at you. I have a dremel... But I have to go to WI for the weekend. I'll be back next week if you don't find someone.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I have done fuel pumps before, but not on this car. I usually drop the tank, but then again i would not want to cut a whole in my car. I was lookin in my service manuals and it looks like a PITA to drop the tank on a camaro.
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey
        I'd come over, point, laugh, and flick lit cigarettes at you. I have a dremel... But I have to go to WI for the weekend. I'll be back next week if you don't find someone.
        have you had experience flicking lit cigarettes at people?

but seriously though have you done this before... i just really need someone there who has done the access panel and not dropped the tank
        2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=86666&page=2

Extremely easy to cut with a Dremel - just be very careful on the left side where the fuel line is.
          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

I've never done it. What better way to practice than on someone elses car!
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

you better have like 80000 cut off wheels, or buy a few carbide wheels

Comment

What city are you locationed in? Its not that hard just get a dremel and start cutting, i only went thru like 5 wheels so its not that bad.

Comment

not gonna lie... id be down for coming up there and helping you out but i wouldnt drop out the tank. that and i work all weekend. just jack up the back end of the car, remove the rear end and panhard rod... blah, blah. then go ahead and drop the tank out, swap it out, then go back the other way and put everything back in.

its not nearly as hard as everyone makes it seem.

Comment

I am not in your area, but I just changed my fuel pump today.

I used instructions I found on the web. If you need the link I can provide it.

They had the measurements on where to cut. I used my dremel (did not have the flexible shaft).

I used 3 cutoff wheels (I believe they were 456B).

One of the fuel connectors was a little tought to get to with fingers, but I worked at it with a screwdriver and a finger and was able to get it to release.

It was really not that bad. It was a lot easier than dropping the axle and fuel tank. I had just filled up before my pump went bad. So I had an almost full tank of gas.

Don

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X