Grinding coming from wheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding coming from wheel...

I don't know if anyone has ever run into this, but here's the problem. My husband has a 95 Z28. Everytime he goes around a left hand corner at high speed (like 25 MPH), there is a ear piercing screeching sound of metal on metal coming from the wheel. He bought brand new rotors and at first the screaching went away. After a few days it returned and he noticed a nice groove in his new rotor on the drivers side. It appears that the top of the caliper might be digging into the rotor. He has since replaced the brake pads, but after they wear down a bit, the screaching will return. Is the caliper shot? Why would this only happen on the driver's side? If you look on the passenger side, the caliper is about a half an inch away from the rotor. On the driver's side, the top of the caliper is a hair away from the rotor. It's not a question of are the break pads seated correctly, because he and a mechanic have taken them off and put them on half a dozen times. I have no idea what the problem is.
    2002 Camaro RS, SLP CAI, 80 Series Flowmaster, Whisper Lid, K & N Air Filter, Hotchkis STB, Hurst Competition Plus Shifter, Lou\'s Short Stick, Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X569, Viper Alarm System. 35% Tint all around

problem with the caliper mounting bracket maybe? (Normally they are cast if anything they will break completely which *should* be painfully obvious ).

is there any wheel bearing play? the caliper would be rigidly mounted to the spindle where the rotor and wheel ride on the hub assembly ( which in turn rides on the bearings). if the bearings were totally shot it could cause the difference in distance * theoretically* between the rotor and the caliper.

I'm kind of shooting in the dark here as it's nearly impossible to diagnose something like this over the internet.

this is kind of one of those things where someone really needs to look at it to see what's going on.
    Jason<br /><br />\'99 Pewter Camaro<br />\'93 V8 S-10

Comment

If the bearing is bad, He would have wheel shake when the brakes are applied, and tracking problems. Whatever dug into the rotor will have corresponding damage. Look there.
      95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

bearing wouldn't necessarilly cause a noticeable shake in the steering wheel. I've seen them where there were no other symptoms, except a strange noise that couldn't be traced to anything. replaced the bearings and the problem was solved. ( this was a hub assembly on a late 90's buick lesabre. )

In fact the hub that replaced it had the same problem ( autozone replacement. ) no symptoms other than the same noise coming from the left front wheel. Sent the defective replacement in and got a *second* replacement hub and the problem was solved.

the first replacement also had a faulty ABS sensor.

when it comes to automotive parts and repairs, there really are not a lot of set in stone causes/symptoms. a lot of problems can appear in different ways.

this is kind of one of those things where someone really needs to look at it to see what's going on.
        Jason<br /><br />\'99 Pewter Camaro<br />\'93 V8 S-10

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
          by ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
          1 week ago
        • RPDRed6
          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
          by RPDRed6
          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
          3 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          No start problem
          by ssms5411
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
          4 weeks ago
        • SixShooter'00Camaro
          Revival
          by SixShooter'00Camaro
          Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X