30,000 miles Tune-Up !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30,000 miles Tune-Up !!!!!

My car just reached 30,000 miles and I think it's time for a complete tune-up. The dealer will charge me $360.00 for one but I thought that was too much money. Is that the price for a tune-up? Do you guys think it's worth it to take the car to the dealer for a tune-up or should I take the car to a regular shop and have it done there? Also, what should a 30,000 mile tune-up consist of? Any advice on what i should look for in my car now that it has 30,000 miles?
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
    2002 Arctic White Firebird W68<br />Installed: FTRA, Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Corvette Servo, 160º Thermostat.<br />Appearance: Potenzas RE750 245\'s, 3M Tint 20% All Around, Clear Corners.<br />FOR SALE: HPP3

Lets see
    A regular tune up usually consists of.
    Air Filter
    Fuel Filter
    PCV valve
    Plugs
    wires
    Tranny flush
    Rear end flush
    Topping off fluids
    and some other misc things...

See what the tune up includes..
    New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

heh, they'll charge you 300$ just to change the plugs...dealership "tune up" is prolly tire rotation, oil change, fuel filter, air filter, and maybee something else

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
      05' CTS-V
      00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

lol that's a lot of money...
        you can change air filter in 30 seconds
        you can change plugs in like an hour along with wires
        you can change pcv valve in 2 minutes

fuel filter is the only thing that's remotely challenging, cuz you have to do it from under the car.

rearend is a ***** though... I just topped off my fluid today... some spilled.. it smells terrible and creates a big mess.

but generally, tuneup is one of the simplest things you can do with the car.

Comment

Rear end fluid is incredibly easy if you can get a small drill pump and stick a tube down the filler hole... you can suck it all up!

Then again, it would be worth taking the rear end apart once just to put on a differential cover with a fill plug, same with a tranny pan with a drain plug. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Vincent:
            Rear end fluid is incredibly easy if you can get a small drill pump and stick a tube down the filler hole... you can suck it all up!

Then again, it would be worth taking the rear end apart once just to put on a differential cover with a fill plug, same with a tranny pan with a drain plug. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            its always better to pull the diff cover...to check the magnet spray some brake clean up in there, get a fresh gasket on there....makes me feel better....and it doesnt smell if you use the new delco synthetic...smells like grapes, says it right on the bottle...and it does...kinda cool

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
            05' CTS-V
            00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

The thing is that I don't have the tools nor the place where to do this tune-up myself so I definetely will have to have someone do that for me. So I definetely shouldn't take my car to the dealer? Should the tune-up to my car include all the things "94Teal" mentioned in his post? Anything else I should keep an eye on? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything for this tune-up.
              Thanks again for your help guys.
              2002 Arctic White Firebird W68<br />Installed: FTRA, Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Corvette Servo, 160º Thermostat.<br />Appearance: Potenzas RE750 245\'s, 3M Tint 20% All Around, Clear Corners.<br />FOR SALE: HPP3

Comment

i think teal hit it on the head. just make sure that you find out what they are doing first. also, i would take it to a dealer so you know they are putting on good parts puttinh in the right fluid, and torqueing things correctly. the diff cover with a drain plug is a very good idea. allows you to do it yourself instead of a dealer. also, if thats not a package, i would do some things like the air filtr my self to save money. also, when ever i take my car to the dealer, i always insist i watch what they are doing. never can be to careful. when i used to go have my oil changed and stuff, i would always get out and watch him and double check things, i always told him not to be insulted until i find something he did wrong then im calling him stupid. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

consider yourself lucky. my dealership wanted over $500 to do it. I dont know what the tune up includes exactly, but all that stuff teal said should be done eventually anyway.
                  if you look in that back of your drivers manuel then it will tell exactly what you need to do at each milage.
                  also if you take your car to jiffy lube they will do almost anything. in fact they'll take you out to your car and explain what needs to be done. jiffy lube is a little be cheaper then the dealership, a hell of a lot nicer and alot faster! but if you can do any of it on your own you'll save money.

PS Jiffy Lube can clean K&N filters now! not really a big deal since the kit is only $20 to clean it yourself. but I thought it was cool. I've always cleaned mine, but the option is still there.

Comment

Your welcome, i work at a parts store for a job so thats all i recommend.
                    New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

Buy all the parts and fluids you need, take it to a mom and pop store and have them do it. Will be cheaper that way and you know whtat you bought.
                      1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                      Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
                        If somebody have any other info please let me know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago
                        • SixShooter'00Camaro
                          Revival
                          by SixShooter'00Camaro
                          Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X