NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE.....starter question - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE.....starter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE.....starter question

How easy or hard is it to change the starter on the 3.8 V6?? Mine is at the shop and needs a new one. Is this something I can do myself in a reasonable amount of time, or should I have them do it? I've been quoted $600 from the dealer, but I can get a starter from several places around town for $150-170. THANKS!!!! :D

Changed mine a few months ago, I don't remember it being all that hard.
    1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

Definately, Positively, no Way in H*LL worth $600! You can do it yourself, just make sure you disconnect the Positive Terminal side of the battery first. I pulled my starter two times already, and it took me no more than 15 minutes. Two bolts that hold the unit to the engine, and the bolt(s) that connect the hot wires on the back.

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

Not all that hard. Advise you spend 16 bucks or so for a Hayes manual. Very helpful on small projects like this. As was mentioned, make sure the battery is disconnected. When you pull the old starter make sure you look to see if shims were used to mount it correctly. It will be easy to tell -- they will fall out when you remove the old starter.
        2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X