Yet another question about a gasoline smell - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another question about a gasoline smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another question about a gasoline smell

(1994 3.4 V6)
    I've checked all other threads I could find for this problem, but they don't fit what I have - I'm not running rich, the gas cap is nice and tight, I have no SES lightup and the smell is definitely from under the hood, not from the rear of the car. Exhaust emissions were checked recently and were right down the bottom of the scale in all tests.
    I've had this smell for a while now and have not been able to track it down; my MPG is about 17 (UK; about 14 US) which seems far too low to me.
    The smell's quite strong from outside the car once I've parked up, at the front around the hood area, and noticeable inside the car when the engine's running and I'm stopped at a junction with the ventilation on.
    I know the fume canister is at the back behind the wheel arch so I'm assuming it's not that (or is this a symptom when it's clogged up?); but there is no evidence whatsoever of fuel leakage from anywhere under the hood (sticky tracks near the injectors or the fuel lines) and nothing dripping from under the car so I'm stuck. Short of sticking my head under the hood and lighting up the trusty Zippo and seeing what catches fire, any clues as to how to get to the bottom of this?
    Thanx

Re: Yet another question about a gasoline smell

check all the seals on your fuel injectors. check your schrader valve and go from there.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Is the smell worse when you have a full gas tank?

Comment

Thanks, Kristen, injector seal replacement kit on order, I'll change them and see how it goes. By "Schrader valve" do you mean the fuel pressure test valve/bleed valve?
        Nascar - no, it's the same smell however much fuel is in the car.

By the way, must I use the special tool J37088 to separate the fuel lines or is there a workaround anyone knows?

Thanx

Comment

yes i do. was your injectors leaking?
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

just use the fuel line tools...it'll make it much easier.

Comment

'O' ring kit just arrived, I'll do them Saturday and let you know how it pans out.
              Re. the special tool, unfortunately here in the little backwater that is the UK I have absolutely no access to anywhere that stocks or has odd little GM special tools like this.
              Is it possible to do the injector removal without disconnecting the fuel lines?

Comment

My 93 3.4 Camaro was running rich when the fuel pump was beginning to go out. Pay attention to the whirring of the fuel pump when you turn the ignition key to the on position. If it gets weak or disappears altogether, it's almost certain.
                Originally posted by LETZRIDE
                I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

OK I think I see the problem now. (Apart from the fact that getting the fuel rail off was an *ARSE* of a job :rant: - getting it over the intake plenum is not quite as easy as they suggest in the Haynes joke book!!!!!
                  Yes the injector seals are way, WAY past their use by date, but I think the injector on #4 may be the cause of the gasoline smell, what do you guys think.........(!)
                  #2 don't look too good either. (Hope the attachment made it online).
                  Looks like the body of the injector has rusted and expanded, breaking apart the shell. Well that's gonna cost me but at least it didn't burst into flames during a trip!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just so you guys can have a good chuckle, thought I'd let you know that I have just been quoted 120 UK pounds PER INJECTOR. That's over $230. *Each*. :(
                    This is an expensive hobby.............

Comment

OK I got a full set of 6 Accel injectors from Summit Racing for $298 delivered to the UK, took 6 days to turn up, excellent service!
                      That's the SAME PRICE as for *one single injector* from a UK dealer!:rant:
                      Managed to do the replacement without separating the quicklock unions in the fuel lines but had to remove them from where they enter the fuel rail as there's no way the rail comes out over the plenum with them still attached. THIS IS SOMETHING ELSE THAT AIN'T MENTIONED IN THE MANUAL!!!!!!!:rant::rant:

OK She's running sweet now, no fuel smells so thanks for the heads-up, guys.:rock:

So with new spark plugs, injectors and O2 sensors not long back and a K&N CAI why do I still only get 15mpg (US, 19 UK)? I have a slightly lead foot but jeez..........

Comment

Originally posted by turbohead2332 View Post
                        My 93 3.4 Camaro was running rich when the fuel pump was beginning to go out. Pay attention to the whirring of the fuel pump when you turn the ignition key to the on position. If it gets weak or disappears altogether, it's almost certain.
                        A whirring fuel pump can make you run rich?! Maybe thats where the damn MPG is going! Am I correct on what your saying?
                        sigpic
                        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by malc_p View Post
                          So with new spark plugs, injectors and O2 sensors not long back and a K&N CAI why do I still only get 15mpg (US, 19 UK)? I have a slightly lead foot but jeez..........
                          Seafoam. Fuel filter. Plug wires. I would also check the plugs since the whole injector thing happened.
                          sigpic
                          98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X