1998 Firebird Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Firebird Overheating

The Car is overheating after a few minutes. The Radiator fans do not cut on until 215 degrees and the engine cools until 190 and they cut back off. It heats up after this.

Anyone have ideas of what to check/change?

I have recently replaced the water pump due to blown seals; and backflushed radiator twice to clean system.

Re: 1998 Firebird Overheating

did you bleed all the air out of your coolant system after doing either the WP change or flushing the radiator?

Comment

215 is the normal temp for the fans to cut on.
      sigpic

Comment

dude the same thing thats happening to your car is happening to my car I even replaced the radiator and still the same thing. The car overheats and when I crank up the car sometimes the car revs itself up and down like I am stepping on the gas anyone know why would my car do this

Comment

Check fluid levels, thermo, and bleed lines.

How hot is it getting. Our cars do run around 200 +
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

The car has always run around 160f, but with this issue, the can will heat up past 220f (water boiling).

Comment

Originally posted by Joel4PW View Post
              The car has always run around 160f, but with this issue, the can will heat up past 220f (water boiling).
              Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
              did you bleed all the air out of your coolant system after doing either the WP change or flushing the radiator?

Comment

i had the same problem. seems not to overheat since i hooked a manual fan switch up.

do u have your a/c on when it overheats? mine used to overheat when i use my a/c also but i havent touched it in months.

Comment

put in a cooler thermostat, i cant remember what the stock thermostat is, but drop in a 180* or even a 160*, around 220f is kinda high for my perceptions, but my car runs really cold compared to most. (i think)

you said you flushed you radiator, but what about the rest of the system? inside the block there could be something hindering the flow of coolant. run a full system flush and switch out the old coolant for new stuff, if nothing else you could get red line water wetter or something like that. its supposed to help your engine run 20-30* colder than usual, i know it did with mine!

Comment

i put "Super Coolant" in mine and it overheated all the way to the right. i drained that **** out fast and put nothing but coolant back in.

Comment

Last time I checked, that's what my camaro does too. Fans just don't cut on until 215, but the thermo is 180, so when idling it cycles between 215 and 180.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X