Some questions! Cleaning O2 / EGR leak - Mileage - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some questions! Cleaning O2 / EGR leak - Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions! Cleaning O2 / EGR leak - Mileage

1. Can someone tell me if I can clean the O2 sensors?

Im thinking yes since they are not throwing codes (malfunction). Just to clean off the carbon and help them read better. And ultimatley improve MPG...

I was thinking today, after seeing all that crap come out the exhaust for the third time (Seafoam), Id imagine that the O2s have got to be pretty clogged up.

2. Where are all the O2s? I know the post CAT is just to tell the PCM that the CAT is all good. Where are the important ones?

3. Also, I seen smoke come from where the EGR is. Does that mean leak? Doesnt look like its coming from the EGR itself, but from the base of it. And will that affect economy?
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: Some questions! Cleaning O2 / EGR leak - Mileage

1) Haven't heard of anyone having luck trying to clean 02's before. They have some kind of magic in them that gets let out if you clean them. Better off IMO to just replace them both if your not planning on seafoaming, and keep the old ones for future seafoam adventures. 2) O2's Should be on either side of the engine on the exhaust pipes. 3) Are you sure you didn't spill something on the EGR? leaky gasket? I dunno.

Do you have electricity? I heard they tried seafoaming a nuclear plant down there and it didn't work out so well.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
      1) Haven't heard of anyone having luck trying to clean 02's before. They have some kind of magic in them that gets let out if you clean them. Better off IMO to just replace them both if your not planning on seafoaming, and keep the old ones for future seafoam adventures. 2) O2's Should be on either side of the engine on the exhaust pipes. 3) Are you sure you didn't spill something on the EGR? leaky gasket? I dunno.

Do you have electricity? I heard they tried seafoaming a nuclear plant down there and it didn't work out so well.

Maybe I missed something in the news, but I guess that would explain why I was without power for so long LMAO!

1) Know of a cheap place to buy them?
      2) Ill find them from top or bottom?
      3) Spilled nothing. It did it when I was doing Seafoam. Which is why there would have been smoke. Ive also have the SES on for EGR, and my car seems like it misses a little...
      sigpic

Comment

man,,change them, dont clean them,,,with the fuel saving they will pay for them self,,,trust me!!

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
          man,,change them, dont clean them,,,with the fuel saving they will pay for them self,,,trust me!!
          Agreed.

You should be able to locate them by looking for a wire coming out of a sensor sticking out of the exhaust headers. Last I checked, you can access them from above.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
            Agreed.

You should be able to locate them by looking for a wire coming out of a sensor sticking out of the exhaust headers. Last I checked, you can access them from above.
            Thanks, good info!

1) Know of a cheap place to buy them?
            sigpic

Comment

Just pick them up at Advance Auto. They're like $40 each or something, IIRC. As for the EGR smoke, sounds like a leak where it goes into your exhaust manifolds.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X