HELP! She won't start!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! She won't start!!!!

So awesome! Came home today, she was riding just fine. No problems at all. About 40 minutes later I go back out to pull into the garage to take a look at another re-tightening of the header bolts.

No start. I can hear the fuel pump prime, turn to start and about 5 seconds later I let go and try again a moment later. About a 10 second turn and I get one gurgle and dead. Look under the hood, switch A/C and Fuel Pump relays just to be sure I didn't imagine the prime sound. Look for anything unusual.. nothing.

So I try once more but this time I toss the camera under the hood. RPM shoots up to about 2k then falls back down and won't hold the idle just dies. I swear I smell gas/rich.

Here's the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qwIGYmQpZQ4

Re: HELP! She won't start!!!!

I am going outside to take another try and another video this time of the gauges.

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6GT1f_aMMxw

video of gauges

Comment

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Possibly pump is running but almost dead.

Comment

Pump is a walbro with about 30k miles total on it. pressure is one thing I'm going to check. But the air reeks of fuel after trying to start it 2 or so times.

Replaced the coils a few weeks ago, but they were el cheapo $20 coils.

Comment

Obviously you need three things to run an engine...air, fuel, spark.

Pull a plug and crank and see if there's a spark. Disconnected a vacuum line? If you can smell fuel from your tail pipes, obviously you are getting fuel. Don't over due it or you'll be !cat.

Comment

Cat is removable anyway, it's clamped in no weld. Worse case if I fix it and the cat ends up dead I'll just poke it and run that way untill I can get a new one.

Checked the fuelrail valve, got a nice healthy spray out of it. I really don't think fuel is the concern unless it's stuck injectors.

Havn't done anything since the header install. Been working like a dream, and then today about 45 minutes after getting home from lunch this all starts.

Going to wait untill I have some help and I'm going to try to check the plugs for spark. Would any sensor cause it to be a turd? Like the crank sensor... would it run horrid or would it be like mine and just not run at all?

Comment

Crank position sensor would definately cause a no start situation...but the likely hood of it dying in 45 minutes...eh.

Comment

If you think it's flooded hold the petal to the floor and the PCM shuts off the injectors while cranking. Just make sure to lift if it starts and the revs go up.
                  sigpic

Comment

So just got home from work. Got to borrow my brother's ls2 GTO :drool: to get me there and back.

Anyway after getting the goat in the garage I turned my attention to my Camaro. First turn of the key just like normal.. no having to finesse it and she fired right up. The idle was very odd, like missing. So I let her idle for 5 minutes waiting to see what happens. Just running, not running well but at least holding an idle. So I go into first and try to just go to the end of the street and turn around. Make it about 100 yards and dead.

Same as before, can crank it and crank it and eventually she tries to start and I get a GLUG then dead. So I pull hard on the wheel to turn around, open the door and start pushing back to the house.

Now I'm back to Crank, No Start. Any ideas?

Does a cat suddonly take a crap? Would it cause these symptoms? Going to start looking at spark first tommorow, seems to be up there on the list.

Comment

check out your wires in full detail. you could have heat cracks and your just turning off
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Taheen View Post
                        Anyway after getting the goat in the garage I turned my attention to my Camaro. First turn of the key just like normal.. no having to finesse it and she fired right up. The idle was very odd, like missing. So I let her idle for 5 minutes waiting to see what happens. Just running, not running well but at least holding an idle. So I go into first and try to just go to the end of the street and turn around. Make it about 100 yards and dead. at suddonly take a crap? Would it cause these symptoms?
                        I know exactly what it is...your TB is taking a crap. After it cools, it will run like it normally does...after it heats up, it dies. TB...how do I know? That scenario happened to me 4 years ago.

100% dying TB.

Comment

What part of the thorttlebody died? Any specific sensor? MAF? TPS?

Just started her a second ago after a nice long 40 degree night. Fired up first try, got her into the garage where we are just idling away.

Really don't want to replace the entire TB

Comment

Instant update: Just as I was typing that I could hear her struggling out there. Went out, water is driping from the cutout, could hear the struggles to run.

Ran under the hood and unpluged the MAF. Make her rely on the MAP sensor. A few more struggles then the idle isn't smooth now but back to an idle again.

Going to run without the MAF for a bit and see how she idles.

Comment

Still running :)

While still running I plugged in the MAF again. Withen seconds the first stutter was audible, less than 30 seconds and she died. Tried to crank... One gurgle then dead.

Un-plugged it again, cranked... turned over got Reduced Engine Power and a very rough idle. Turned off, waited 10 minutes and tried again !MAF... turned over first try like nothing is wrong, out the idling right now.

Think we have a winner!

Christopherrr, I owe you one buddy. I would have looked at spark and then injectors before thinking of MAF.

Going to see if I can limp to Autozone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X