Rear Main Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Main Seal

How hard would it be to change the rear main seal on a 93 camaro? Anyone ever done it/ have any advice?

Re: Rear Main Seal

i think kristen did it. i dont think its hard, just time consuming. I have also heard of ppl replacing it and it still leaking. how bad is the leak ? mine as a drip every now and then
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

you will have to remove your flywheel. It can be done but is a pain if doing it in a driveway. If you have a lift it is easier.

Mine has dripped a bit since the day I got it when it had 77k on it. Now over 105k and never changed it
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I've wondered the same thing...I know its like 600$ to get a shop to do it...would mods help to make something like this worse?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
          I've wondered the same thing...I know its like 600$ to get a shop to do it...would mods help to make something like this worse?
          mods? no they have nothing to do with this.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
            mods? no they have nothing to do with this.
            I just thought that if you did something like a cam it may help to make the leak bigger...I dont know about the original OP but mine leaks when I hit 3k rpm or above...goes right onto the y pipe and stinks like crap so its annoying...is there a walk through guide to do this yourself?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

the only reason i did mine was because i was replacing my clutch. the oil pan is my pita lol

you would have to drop your transmission, if your a manual you would have to remove your clutch and flywheel. then becareful getting the old one out. not to strach the plate.
              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
                the only reason i did mine was because i was replacing my clutch. the oil pan is my pita lol

you would have to drop your transmission, if your a manual you would have to remove your clutch and flywheel. then becareful getting the old one out. not to strach the plate.
                what happens if u scratch the plate?

Comment

ok thanx guys. btw its an auto.

what about lucas transmission treatment, it says it would stop most leaks....anyone have any experience with that?

o and one last thing..."technically" if i just slowly keep adding tranny fluid, that just like a small oil leak, it wont affect performance right? as in my tranny isnt going to seize or break right?

Comment

i think they leak oil not tranny fluid
                    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                    1994 Camaro - Sold
                    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Not sure how different a 93 is,.,.I have a manual 99 and while I was at it, I've changed the clutch since I was dropping the transmission. IIRC, I jacked up the car(of course) then I pulled out the driveshaft, drop the tranny on the floor jack. Changed the clutch, took the old seal out. When I took out the seal, all the coolant came out along with oil. The hardest part is scraping the remaining seal off. Cost about ~300 bucks for all the clutch parts and seal. Seal was way cheap as I recall, I think ~$5. There was a line going into my transmission that requires a special tool to disconnect.

Good luck =)
                      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

well if your doing a good clean you don't want to scrab it up. then you won't get a good seal.

and yes you would leak oil not tranny fluid. rear main seal is on the back of the block.
                        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

mine does a drop every once in a while. when i first got the car. i had somone tell me it was the oil pan gasket we changed it out and i still saw a leak every once in a while so the guy was wrong.

Comment

Make sure your PVC valve is working before you change the rear main. The PVC can be clogged and cause pressure to build up in the crankcase, the easy way out is the rear main and it takes oil with it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS View Post
                              ok thanx guys. btw its an auto.

what about lucas transmission treatment, it says it would stop most leaks....anyone have any experience with that?

o and one last thing..."technically" if i just slowly keep adding tranny fluid, that just like a small oil leak, it wont affect performance right? as in my tranny isnt going to seize or break right?
                              what?

you have an even bigger problem if your rear main seal is leaking transmission fluid.

but in any case, DO NOT use those lucas crap products, when used with "gears" they cause small bubbles which can ruin your oil pump/transmission/differential gears.

if you dont believe me, go find one of those little displays at the part store and spin it really fast compared to the other oil, you will see millions of bubbles in it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X