Pansie *** power steering (got some questions) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pansie *** power steering (got some questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pansie *** power steering (got some questions)

SO decided to do donuts, I only think I have done donuts once before in my car...

nothing insane maybe 4-5 full 360s, wheel turned ~2/3rds the way not full lock.

either way afterwards, steering was real stiff... and whined a little I put a little fluid in worked fine but still a slight whine, I didn't check the level effectively just poured a little in to top it off, its night, I have worked 15 hours today not really in the mood to figure it out at 3 am when I gotta be back at work in 5 hours.

So what are the odds of me just putting fluid in and it working fine and dandy no leaks or problems... I have an aftermarket warranty but just hoping I don't have to take my car in and fill out paperwork. [img]smile.gif[/img]

its possible, just make sure you didnt blow a line or anything. How low was it?

if you messed up the lines, i have a set from a LS1, if they're the same (no power steering cooler) you can have them if it helps you out.

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

My Lumina does that after some 'spirited' driving. Always loses a little fluid, and whines while it's hot. I keep a bottle of ps fluid in the car, and I just add a few ounces at night, and it's always fine in the morning.

- Justin
      <a href=\"http://www.njfboa.org\" target=\"_blank\">New Jersey F-Body Owners Association</a><br />1987 Camaro LT - 400sbc, Aluminum L98\'s w/valve job, Comp XE 274, Q-Junk 750, 3.23 posi, 4.10\'s soon.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11\" target=\"_blank\">East Coast F-Body Nationals - August 14, 2005</a>

Comment

Its not terribly low...

I did not really see fluid everywhere... It actually works fine now, except if I am sitting and idling, I have no power steering, I rev it a bit and it works. I was late for work didn't get ot check it "ideally" while cold. I will before I head to class tonight.

Comment

my ps pump took a crap after i did a few 360s.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Comment

Sounds like my pump did after I boiled the fluid in it while road racing.. though it took about 15 minutes on the track for that to happen to me, I had fresh fluid.

Try completely draining out the old fluid and adding fresh stuff to see if that helps. I did this by:
            1. Pull the serpentine belt
            2. Use a turkey baster to suck everything out of the reservoir you can
            3. Pull the return line out of the reservoir, and loosen its fitting on the rack just enough to swivel it downward - stick it into a jug or oil change pan (yes, used oil dropoffs will take p/s fluid)
            4. Get the rest of the fluid out by spinning the p/s pump by hand, then turning the wheels lock to lock a few times - helps to have the front on jackstands for this :cool:
            5. Reconnect everything, top up, and do some more lock-to-lock turns to help bleed air out before restarting the motor.

This helped me a bit, but I still know I blew something. New pump should be here end of this week, I had mine modified for racing use - less flow at high rpms. Our pump puts out 13-16 gallons per minute at hig revs, the rack needs 3. All that extra gets churned in the bypass circuit and turns into heat. If it boils, the sudden increase in pressure can do bad things.

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
            Its not terribly low...

I did not really see fluid everywhere... It actually works fine now, except if I am sitting and idling, I have no power steering, I rev it a bit and it works. I was late for work didn't get ot check it "ideally" while cold. I will before I head to class tonight.
            Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
            Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

damn... well I have autocrossed it just surprised me car was barely near normal operating temp the tires were still cold, so I did a few donuts, and then it crapped.

I was thinking maybe it boiled up too but I wasn't doing it long enough, hell I put my finger in the fluid to see... it was warm but not hot enough to leave a burn.

Sh|t bothers me that my 3.4L had 130k, probalby had 135k now, and I never had problem, just topped the fluid off once, it was almost all original fluid. I did donuts for 10X's as long and even had a few full lock turns with them.... dozen or so autocrosses, and a roadrace...

I might not bother with the fluid, usulaly with power steering its dead or needs fluid, fluid looks like it would be high enough, and still have problem. Well get a chance to use extended warranty [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                4 hours ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X