the ultimate question...crate motor?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the ultimate question...crate motor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the ultimate question...crate motor??

Just a question. You were saying something about the conversion not being cost effective for you, but it wouldn't cost as much for anyway... no point. Just trying to clarify something for my own thinking. Thanks!
    Y87 Package
    MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
    BONE APPROVED!
    VANBIBBER APPROVED!
    KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
    Team Black...TEAM EMO
    sigpic
    Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Just get a motor with less miles out of a junkyard. Complete 3.4's are usually under $500 from what I've seen. That or just take good care of it.
      1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
        youre missing the point. 2k for a direct drop in vs more than 5k for a swap. its not in his budget.
        yeah... guess you're right.... just go buy tons of lottery tickets then....:slap:

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
        Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Comment

And whats wrong with the original 3.4? Are you burning more than 2 quarts of oil per oil change? My vote is keep the original 3.4 and run it into the ground. Find some friends you can depend on for rides or live near campus, so when it does finally go, you can then replace it.

Comment

I really appreciate all you guy's help. Right now, i'm gonna keep the car and just take it easy on it. The reason i'm lookin at a new motor is because, aside from other things i can seal/fix myself, such as leaking EGR, it burns around 1.5 quarts between changes...and i've got myself a pretty...ok...very substantial coolant leak...i have to fill the radiator up every 3 days or so, and nobody can figure out exactly where it's comin from...it's been on a lift, and the owner of the shop said it looked to him like it was seeping from a crack in the block. obviously if that's so i'll need a new motor. The thing with junkyard motors im afraid of, is buying a motor that looks good, but turns out to have burned up pistons, or is full of rust. I dont have access or knowledge to where i can crack open the top end of a junk motor before i buy it to check...we're tryin to figure out a way so i dont have to get rid of this car...

I'm planning a full tune up soon, as in new o2's, filters, plugs wires and a good seafoam, but this motor's hurtin, and i'm no mechanic...

anything else i can really try?...my estimated TOTAL (meaning all parts, and whatnot) cost would prolly have to cap off somewhere round 2K...my dad will be a lil generous since i only paid 2500 for the car lol

sorry for the long post, but i just remembered, If it's not a cracked block, how much would it cost to have the 3.4 rebuilt? nothin fancy, just a basic stock rebuild...
            Last edited by 95astrovan; 03-04-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

mmm...if you pull it and put the new one in yourself you could probably get a crate new 3.4 engine from jegs for around 2K but a rebuild...that I'm not sure of.
              Y87 Package
              MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
              Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
              BONE APPROVED!
              VANBIBBER APPROVED!
              KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
              Team Black...TEAM EMO
              sigpic
              Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

the 3.8s are $1988 new
                the 3.4s were discon last i checked.
                96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

yea, i prolly wont get a new one, cuz for the price of a new one, i could get a smallblock...i know i can pick up a low mileage one for around 500, so i might go that route...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X