X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumbling while accelerating

Background
    1998 Firebird 3.8 auto, 67,000k
    About 3000 miles ago (September) the car started missing when under load. The plugs and wires were only 2 months old so I started replacing coils. After replacing 2 of 3 coils the problem was corrected.

This week the problem returned. Since 2 coils were new I replaced the 3 coil which didn't help.

Last night I had my daughter hold the brake and keep it loaded and missing while I looked around for any arcing from plug wires and didn't see any.

I guess my next move will be changing the ICM to the tune of $125 unless someone knows of anything else I should try first.

The fuel filter was changed with the plugs and wires.

Any suggestions?

Re: Stumbling while accelerating

It throwing a SES code I'm guessing.
    Go to Advanced Auto and get it scanned for free.

Tell us what they give you.

Comment

Yeah, but sounds like a problem I have had alot. on the '98's the wires on the passenger side are too close to the manifold, they heat and melt and crack frequently. The wire can even look ok, not arcing or anything, and still be bad.

I'm going to guess you're gonna get "Cylinder 5 misfire" as your SES, grab a set of wires while you're there if you do. That'll probably be the problem.

In fact, it's exactly why I paid for the coating on my headers. If it saves me just one set of wires a year it pays for itself.

Comment

I left that important detail out of the original post. The code was a misfire on cylinder 6 both back in September and this time.

Comment

injector maybe
          Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Swap coils between cylinders and see if the miss moves with the coil.
            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X