Question about the gas needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the gas needle

hey what's up, well to tell you guys the truth this is my first F Body I ever owned..yes I used to have an import (car not important for I am ashamed jejeje) but anyways on my way to the gym tonight I took the freeway (big surprise huh? jeje) but before I got on the freeway, I filled up the gas tank.

here's my question...does your cars Gas Needle go down when you come off of the freeway and press the brake? if it does do you know why? i'm just curious to know if this is a normal happening or if my car was that "special" one that used to ride short little yellow bus to school...
    Check out my <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/401661/2\" target=\"_blank\">Domain Site.</a><br /><br />The man who laughs last, is slowest.

its the gas swishing around in your tank.. if you watch it it will slowly come back up.. it happens.. you will get used to it..

~Billy

Comment

get yourself a 77 T/A. Stomp it & watch the gauge actually move down & stay down [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

I've heard that the gas tanks are shaped like a V..so the readings are going to be very inaccurate at times due to stopping/increasing..and without a little 'low gas' light..you just need to know your car, and when to fill er' up [img]smile.gif[/img]
        94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

Comment

My needle doesn't move until I've put about 100 miles on the tank. Then it drains like CRAZY and will move up and down when I hit the brakes or make a right hand turn...
          You get used to it [img]smile.gif[/img] Just don't go by the gauge... go by the milage. You won't run out of gas that way... not like I know or anything :rolleyes:
          <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Dumb thing... I can easily imagine a way to make an accurate guage. I dunno how it's done now, but I bet I could make a fortune off my invention! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I bet the Germans have an accurate gas guage already... maybe thats why BMW and MB cost so much. Hmm. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I've heard that the gas tanks are shaped like a V <hr></blockquote>
              Is this the reason once it get below half a tank on the gauge it starts dropping like crazy? I can leave Mobile to go home with just under half a tank and its on the E when i get home. But like somebody said, watch the milage and know how far you can go withougt pushing the limits.
              1997 firebird<br />1987 4-Runner

Comment

Actually, I drove a 1997 Chevy Silverado and that gauge was very acurate. It didn't move at all when you hit the brakes and stuff. So it's not all GM cars... just ours ;)
                <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

This should probably be in General Tech...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DrSquirts:
                    Dumb thing... I can easily imagine a way to make an accurate guage. I dunno how it's done now, but I bet I could make a fortune off my invention! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I bet the Germans have an accurate gas guage already... maybe thats why BMW and MB cost so much. Hmm. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                    <hr></blockquote>

It wouldn't be that hard. I've put a small amount of thought into it myself. Basically if the gas tank has a measurable slope on both sides you can do a basic division of the imput signal to get a correct gauge reading. Unfortunately this means they'd have to add a small bit of circuitry to the gauge cluster or pipe the input through the PCM.

Comment

If you have a 95-97 3.8 I know they have a 14.5 gallon gas tank...when I had my 96 bird, I could get 310 miles on my tank, but 315 i was dry and stuck...so be careful...On the 99 I have know...I can get about 365 miles on my tank..it holds 16.8 gallons...if you have a pre 98, listen to these guys...once you hit about a 1/4 of a tank...you have about 2 gallons left and its time to hit your nearest fill station.
                      Ed
                      2001 Formula

Comment

I know exactly what you're talking about and I can't stand it! Just gotta learn to live with it.
                        1996 Camaro RS Bright Red<br />3.8L V6 A4 3.42\'s<br />K&N Filtercharger<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler<br />Y87 Performance Package

Comment

Just one of the quirks of having a F-body that you'll get used to.

The gas gauge, the phantom noises, and the SES light.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go:
                            get yourself a 77 T/A. Stomp it & watch the gauge actually move down & stay down [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

I used to do this with a 74 Bel Air. Stomp on the gas and get 4, maybe 5 MPG. Go lightly and get a whopping 12 MPG. Take a highway trip and the gas mileage soared up to 14 MPG.

But then again, it was a 400 CID, 4 barrel carb.
                            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X