it's ticking, OK, but what does that mean?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it's ticking, OK, but what does that mean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's ticking, OK, but what does that mean??

seriously...i know it's ticking...pretty sure it's comin from the valvetrain. But what exactly does that mean? What actually causes things to come "loose" and start to tick? What kind of damage can be done? Can it be left alone and not worried about? Ways it can be cured? i've had these questions for a while, especially the "what exactly causes the tick sound" and the "what kind of damage can be done?" ones. But all i ever get when i search, or ask someone about it is "crack open those valve covers and tighten things up!"...OK, that's all well and good, but i dont have the know-how or tools/proper area to tear into the top of my motor like that, so i'm wondering...what all am i risking by not taking it somewhere? Since the ticking began, i've noticed no changes...hasnt gotten louder, softer, only happens after the car heats up...is it REALLY worth the money to take it somewhere to have the tick diagnosed and "fixed"? or will be fine as long i keep up my maintenance and go about my low-income life? I just want a better understanding of my car, and since last summer, this tick has been a part of my car

-Steve

Re: it's ticking, OK, but what does that mean??

Originally posted by 95astrovan View Post
    seriously...i know it's ticking...pretty sure it's comin from the valvetrain. But what exactly does that mean? What actually causes things to come "loose" and start to tick? What kind of damage can be done? Can it be left alone and not worried about? Ways it can be cured? i've had these questions for a while, especially the "what exactly causes the tick sound" and the "what kind of damage can be done?" ones. But all i ever get when i search, or ask someone about it is "crack open those valve covers and tighten things up!"...OK, that's all well and good, but i dont have the know-how or tools/proper area to tear into the top of my motor like that, so i'm wondering...what all am i risking by not taking it somewhere? Since the ticking began, i've noticed no changes...hasnt gotten louder, softer, only happens after the car heats up...is it REALLY worth the money to take it somewhere to have the tick diagnosed and "fixed"? or will be fine as long i keep up my maintenance and go about my low-income life? I just want a better understanding of my car, and since last summer, this tick has been a part of my car

-Steve

steve, take your valve covers off and tighten things up!!

no but seriously, if it ends up being a lifter or something of that nature, you can probably do it yourself. I just took apart my top end and i've never touched a car's engine prior.

good luck.

max

Comment

Does it sound like this (uses quicktime):
      http://eden.rutgers.edu/~sattelbe/fi...0316081708.3g2
      http://eden.rutgers.edu/~sattelbe/fi...0316081709.3g2
      http://eden.rutgers.edu/~sattelbe/fi...0316081710.3g2

This is the current ticking I get from the passenger side. There is another type of tick I get, but I was unable to reproduce it yesterday when I took the videos. I figure I'm going to take it to the mechanic tomorrow to get looked at while they fix my exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
        steve, take your valve covers off and tighten things up!!

max
        haha, i figured YOU would be the one to say that...i've heard from a couple ppl that it can be a real PITA to get the valve covers off cuz of the local of the engine, that's what im worried about...would i just have to get em off and giggle the rockers, and if theyre loose, snug em up?

Comment

lifters can tick
          injectors can tick
          valvetrain can tick

You need to narrow it down more. Take a screwdriver and put it to your ear and move it around the engine. Try to find the location of the tick and go from there.

does it change with RPM?
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I've heard some exhaust leaks that made ticking noises before.

Comment

Originally posted by 95astrovan View Post
              haha, i figured YOU would be the one to say that...i've heard from a couple ppl that it can be a real PITA to get the valve covers off cuz of the local of the engine, that's what im worried about...would i just have to get em off and giggle the rockers, and if theyre loose, snug em up?

hahah, what do u mean ME? i've done exactly what i told u to do. My top end is actually torn apart right now. :rock:

no its not as simple as the 3.8 .... you would have to take off he upper intake plenum, remove EGR, obviously the valve covers and NO!! U CANNOT JUST SNUG UP THE ROCKERS!! there is a certain way of adjusting them and in my opinion i would think it"s the lifters that are ticking therefore you would have to replace one or more of those first

max

Comment

Most of the time that ticking noise is coming from the valve train. Either you lifters are wearing out or you might have a sticking lifter or an exhaust leak. Try running a bottle of zmax or something like that at your next oil change and tightening your header bolts. Hydraulic lifters should not need to be adjusted once they are set. If they do, you need to find out why. Most likely your lifters are heading south. Generally as the wear or sit for long periods of time, the bleed out. When you start your car, the oil pump sends oil through them up the pushrod to the rockers. The hydraulic lifters have little plungers in them. When the oil passes through them, the oil pressure preloads the lifter and keeps your valve lash in check. When they bleed down, the valve lash is to big and your hearing the rocker smack the valve stem. Many times this ticking is what you hear at initial start up on a high mileage car which goes away when oil pumps the lifters up. There are a few ways to adjust lifters, so I would find a manual and make sure you follow it. If you do it wrong your car with either run like crap because the valves are held open by to much preload or mr. valve will meet mr. piston.

Also sometimes are start up you might hear piston slap. This is more common with forged pistons on cold days, but as things wear, you could be hearing this as well. Should go away once the engine warms up.
                Last edited by Den69RS96; 03-20-2008, 08:04 AM.
                69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X