96 Camaro z28, good buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Camaro z28, good buy???

My neighbor is selling his 1996 camaro z28 for $2400. The only problem it has is a blown head gasket so that is why he is selling it before he goes to college. The car was bought last year for $8000. I do not know how many miles are on the car but I'm sure it has less than 100,000. He has a sound system, 19 inch chrome rims and a SS hood all on the car that are included in the price. Is this a good deal? How much does a blown gasket cost to fix? and I'm sorry this topic probably doesnt go here but I couldnt think of anywhere else to put it.
    -------------------------<br />\'99 Camaro A4 HUGGER ORANGE<br />Mods:<br />JET CHIP Stage 2 (for sale)<br />Magnaflow Catback System 2.5\"<br />SLP CAI<br />!FRA<br />160 degree Thermo<br /><br />Email: Maniac02570@aol.com

The best thing I could tell you is to take it to trustworthy mechanic and have him look at the car from top to bottom and see what he has to say about its condition. But if checked out good go for it. I think a head gasket w/ labor is $500 but dont quote me on that.

Comment

my mechanic charged me 650 to change out my blown head gasket as well as flush out my radiator. So im guessing $600 for just the gasket.

Comment

The car has most likely been dogged. If it has a lot of miles and been beaten, then you wont have that much power. I would have someone look over the engine.
        2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Sounds like a decent buy, provided the gasket is the only thing wrong with it. If a kid has been driving it then yea it's prob. dogged out. It would make a nice project car to work up.
          Patrick<br />Sick Sixx Member<br /><b>97 Mystic Teal Camaro</b><br />425RWHP @14PSI<br />Old setup:<br />330RWHP @7PSI 13.9 @ 106.6 <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=4\" target=\"_blank\">Mods</a>

Comment

2 grand is a steal.... pull the whole engine do a rebuild yourself ...up the cam ... freshin the top end... bam. For about 4000 dollars total you have a sweet car.

Comment

yea, but i would seriously rebuild the engine. many many people told me that LT1's dont really blow gaskets unless they are romped on a whole lot.

Comment

IS the car in really nice shape other then the motor?

If so I think it might be a deal, if the head gasket is gone, expect alot more. If its an auto and nearing 100k, I would assume the tranny might be on its way out. Assume Opti/waterpump are going to be out if its a higermileage car, and maybe be prepared for a warped head if he blew the headgasket.

If your willing to put time into the car and the rest of the car is looking pretty good, I would go for it.

Jsut to warn you it will probably go fast.

Comment

Only get it if you have the money to rebuild the motor, put some aftermarket parts on it and put in a new tranny. If you dont have money to do anytihng with it, I wouldn't get it. Because other parts will go out on that car.
                  2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

At two grand, regardless of what may be wrong with the engine, it's still a steal. Okay, so the engine is toast, or the tranny. Replace 'em and you've still got a Z28 for under $6k.
                    \'97 Camaro: GN Turbo w/intercooler, 3.42s w/ Auburn HD posi, Bulletproof 4L60E-HD, stage II shift kit, Vette servo, MSD Ign, K&N, Ported TB/MAF, 3\" FlowMaster, 160* thermo, HPTuners v1.6

Comment

I'd buy it, rework the engine, replace the clutch if it's an M6, check the rear end for metal shavings (replace the fluid while I'm at it.) Oh,check the rear wheel wells for rubber that's been *ahem* "forcefully" removed by torque. Heeheheh. Oh yeah, the 96 is when they've switched over to a twin cat exhaust and it picked up about 10-15 more hp, giving the engine a rated output of 275. Wheeee!
                      Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

Big Bad James makes a great point
                        1994 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6

Comment

Big Bad James makes a great point
                          1994 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6

Comment

see the problem is I really dont have the money to buy the car and fix it up so if anyone wants this car located in Florida I can contact you with my neighbor, you dont know how bad I want this car, but I just dont have the money :(
                            -------------------------<br />\'99 Camaro A4 HUGGER ORANGE<br />Mods:<br />JET CHIP Stage 2 (for sale)<br />Magnaflow Catback System 2.5\"<br />SLP CAI<br />!FRA<br />160 degree Thermo<br /><br />Email: Maniac02570@aol.com

Comment

Its up to you man. But if you REALLY wnat it like you said. Then you could sell that 99 camaro for more alot more than 4000 and get the Z and get a hell of a deal like "wantmorepower" said. Its up to you though.
                              Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X