Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best advice I've ever seen here

From serpint (doesn't matter which thread):

"Whoa. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but the first thing you need to do is upgrade your mind. If you start installing things and you have no idea what they are or how they work, you are setting yourself up for disaster.

Do a lot of reading and searching before you consider doing upgrades. Learn how things work together."

Could this be made a sticky at the top of every forum? Seriously.

If I had a nickel for every time someone posts - "I don't know anything about [fill in the blank] so can some guy who I know nothing about tell me how to mess with my car?"
    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

I think that one thing that the unexperienced need to do is put time forth to research things that they don't know about. Stefan has a kickass site here with LOADS on information, but keep in mind that there are other sites out there that will answer a lot of questions and help you decide which parts are right for you.

One thing that I have run into a lot is people asking questions about parts that can be answered directly from the manufacturer's website. With that in mind, maybe we can make a link sheet like a line card to different manufacturers like Flowmaster, Magnaflow, NX and other popular companies.

Although I agree with V6Bob about asking someone who they know nothing about for advice, for the most part, advice around here is decent. There are exceptions of course, like with suspension upgrades, about what is the best, but remember that everything for the most part is opinionated.
    - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Whoa, thanks. Guess I finally did something right :b
      -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

Comment

hehe its true...

I always say just because you throw money at a car doesn't mean its gonna be fast.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
          hehe its true...

I always say just because you throw money at a car doesn't mean its gonna be fast.
          I agree totally.
          2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Yeah, I can throw all the money in the world at my ride, and then Eric comes along, removes a spec of dust from his shiny 2000 3.8, and runs a 14.4 [img]smile.gif[/img]

People who run into trouble are those who want mods for mods. Not mods that you need.

I prefer to just "get the job done," rather than "get the high dollar joint!" Secondhand turbo, various suspension pieces, Pro 5.0, etc. Gets the job done, without, I'd say, being excessive. Particularly my firebird take-off wheels, which I needed to "get the job done" of fixing some busted ones.
            <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Yeah, when I decided to add mods to the car, I stayed up all night one night and read each and every word in the mods encyclopedia and made notes in a notebook. I knew how everything was supposed to work and what to expect out of each mod and price range. Very informative.
              New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
              RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
              crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
              The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Ive been studying up on my car for 2 years, im now 16, do the math. im so ready to transform my car into a beast. But i agree the first step to getting more performance out of an engine is knowing how the engine itself works, and how the part will affect your engine.
                Proving that import racers aint got **** on Domestic Muscle. Long live the CAMARO!<br />Soon to come- Powermax Cam/ Crane Lifters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X