Do I have enough money.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have enough money.....

I was thinking about camming my car, putting headers and getting a v8 rear with the 3.42's and posi traction. Do u think I have enough with 2,000 to do what I want with installation included???

Oh yeah this is my car...

Re: Do I have enough money.....

sure,

$300 headers
    $300 rear end
    $700 for cam and supporting items

rest for install costs
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Awesome I might be doing all this then. My parents are not going to let me get an 8 cuz they think Ill get killed in such a fast car...lol:rant:

Comment

LMAO at "tow away zone"

Go LSD man. Btw, need any help with the installs?
        sigpic
        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

noob question... ive never really been sure of what a cam is/does exactly...? how much gains would you see?

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
            sure,

$300 headers
            $300 rear end
            $700 for cam and supporting items

rest for install costs
            You know more than I do most likely, but are you sure about those costs? I mean, if he uses the gaskets that come with the headers he'll have problems, so there's another $35 for the gaskets. Wouldn't he also need a new catalytic and catback? The cat is welded on isn't it? And wouldn't it defeat the purpose of headers to use a standard cat instead of a Hi-flow? He could also still have the 2 1/4" exhaust too, wouldn't that be an issue?

That also sounds like an enourmous amount of work for only ~$700 in installation.

He'd also need a tune wouldn't he? New gears would require a tune going from 3.23 to 3.42 don't they? New Cam requires a tune as well doesn't it? I know there's some stock tune cams, but I'm thinking since the new gears pretty much require a tune anyways you might as well use something better than stock tune right?

I know I'm asking alot of questions, but I really don't know much for certain, just what I've gathered doing research here.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.8Fury View Post
              My parents are not going to let me get an 8 cuz they think Ill get killed in such a fast car...lol:rant:
              You can kill yourself just as effectively in a V6.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

I wouldn't dig into the engine just yet; get all your bolt-ons first. Intake, exhaust, headers LS1 DS, LSD rear, etc.
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatt9 View Post
                  You know more than I do most likely, but are you sure about those costs? I mean, if he uses the gaskets that come with the headers he'll have problems, so there's another $35 for the gaskets. Wouldn't he also need a new catalytic and catback? The cat is welded on isn't it? And wouldn't it defeat the purpose of headers to use a standard cat instead of a Hi-flow? He could also still have the 2 1/4" exhaust too, wouldn't that be an issue?

That also sounds like an enourmous amount of work for only ~$700 in installation.

He'd also need a tune wouldn't he? New gears would require a tune going from 3.23 to 3.42 don't they? New Cam requires a tune as well doesn't it? I know there's some stock tune cams, but I'm thinking since the new gears pretty much require a tune anyways you might as well use something better than stock tune right?

I know I'm asking alot of questions, but I really don't know much for certain, just what I've gathered doing research here.
                  yes there is always going to be extra costs, just depends on what he does himself and what he has a shop do. He could save himself money and install the headers in his driveway. He could get painted instead of coated headers and it would be cheaper yet for the headers. If he has no catback exhaust yet then he is going to be hurting cost wise, I took it as he had the exhaust already.

But yes it can be more than his budget, just depends on where he gets his stuff and what shop does the work. You can get rear ends for 225-250 as well and then you just saved another 50-75 bucks. Those were ballpark figures
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Yea, nothing worse than getting in the middle of a project and running out of money... :(

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                      I wouldn't dig into the engine just yet; get all your bolt-ons first. Intake, exhaust, headers LS1 DS, LSD rear, etc.
                      I have intake and a magnaflow muffler with a no cat...

Comment

Originally posted by 3.8Fury View Post
                        Awesome I might be doing all this then. My parents are not going to let me get an 8 cuz they think Ill get killed in such a fast car...lol:rant:
                        Those are some of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. You can kill yourself just as easily and effectiveley with anything. I don't care what you drive if you don't respect what it can or can't do then yes chances are something bad will happen, but there again it can happen with anything. That's like the argument "you can get a car when you get a job" how in the ****ing hell am I supposed to get a job if I don't have a car. Backasswards logic, gotta love it.

BTW, not directed at you or your parents just a generalization.
                        Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X