3.8 tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 tensioner

My tensioner is shot. I've seen alot posted on the 3.4 but havent seen much on the 3.8 and the Haynes manual has no info about replaceing it. A few ?'s I assume the alternator has to come off are there any other surprises I'm gona run into? I have 148k on my 98 firebird so I think I'm gona replace the water pump while I have it torn apart. Is there any gaskets or other things I'll need or should replace? What kind of time should I expect to spend replaceing it?
    98 bird <br />160,000 miles<br />13\'s? Just happy it\'s starts every morning. <br /><br />Traded in @164,000 On a 2001 Formula

I do not think you need to pull anything to change the tensioner. It should just be a matter of removing the belt, unbolting the bad tensioner, and then bolting the new tensioner on. Just remember that the tensioner is reverse-threaded. ;)
    1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

I think it looks the same as one on a 3.4L... jsut 2 bolts on it...

Comment

Well it turned out to be alot easier than I thought. Had it off in 20 minutes. Just 2 bolts and the one to the alternater. Now I have to find someone open on a Saturday that has the 2 plastic pipes going to the block and water pump.
        98 bird <br />160,000 miles<br />13\'s? Just happy it\'s starts every morning. <br /><br />Traded in @164,000 On a 2001 Formula

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
          Good to see the site is back up
          by 2.8 Bird
          So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
          7 hours ago
        • FirebirdGT
          New Site Hosting Issues
          by FirebirdGT
          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
          1 week ago
        • LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X