Some who actuallly bled abs brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some who actuallly bled abs brakes

Ok,searched but nothing conclusive.I'd like to find out if anyone bled brakes w/abs on a 98 or above.In some threads it said its ok but others recomended a machine bleeding in a so equiped shop.On my 98 Camaro it does not have a bleeder valve on the abs controll box.I got a good deal on some Valvoline DOT4 fluid & would like to put it in because of it's higher BP.I have a shop manual for '03 Corvettes & it indicates that it can be done "manually" on them , but don't know if it can apply to my Camaro?Would like to find some good soul(s) out there who actually did it!& of course if so how did it go?Also could I be overlooking a bleeder valve on the abs box?
    geocor

If I remember correctly f-bodies equipped with traction control have to have a machine to calibrate the computer after a brake job.
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

V6's dont have traction control.
      <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Don't buy into the need of a machine. That is something every new car says. You can do it. I did it on a 96, and it was simple. I believe that the V6's do have Traction Control, as there are instances when the light will come on in the 96.

And I think that it is best to stick to the perscribed brake fluid for the car. I would not recommend going to a "better" brake fluid, as the brake system may not agree.
        1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

Yeah, no need to take it to a shop, they'll rip you on BS alone. I bought a self bleeding kit from autozone for $15. Works great.

-Marc
          sigpic

Comment

provided you have not let air into the system, by draining the master cyliners, you will be fine, if your doing a flush

if you did, you will need a tech-2 to modulate the ABS pump, to eliminate the air bubbles :(

Ryan
            1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshMcMadMac:
              I believe that the V6's do have Traction Control, as there are instances when the light will come on in the 96.
              This does not mean for sure that the car has traction control. I assume you mean the LOW TRAC light. This light comes on when there are conditions which will make the ABS system operate. My car does not have Traction Control, but if hit the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick on, that light comes on.
              1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

At 39k the pads look good all around,so no need to replace.The dot 4 fluid is GM abs approved so no prob there.After 6 years I think the brake sys. needs a change of fresh fluid,because of moisture & worn out additives.Always heard its good to do so every 3-4 years,so I & others are probably overdue.BTW I don't have traction control,the low traction warning ,I believe comes as a result of the abs sys. brake pulsations to warn of possible loss of vehicle control.Does anyone know of bleeders on the abs control module? Could they be covered by plugs or underneath it?My guess ,to all of this is if a C5 can be bled in the conventional way ,so could abs equiped F-bodys.Just would like someone, if possible, who did it & could answer the question if the module has bleeders on a'98 in particular.I think it would be a good idea for all who have F-bods,especially w/abs to give a serious thought to bleeding the brakes to CHANGE the fluid every 3-4 years.The module is quite expensive & abs equiped vehicles are adversely affected by moisture,probably more than non-abs vehicles,so its very important to do this proceedure.BTW it is a good idea to ocasionally suck the fluid out of the master cyl. reservoir & replace with new fluid,deffinately agree with that.Thanx for feedback, hope to get more; GEOCOR...
                geocor

Comment

BTW silicone brake fluid is very good for not absorbing moisture & is much more compatible with rubber & plastic components on brake sys.Unforunately its not applicable to abs sys. because of thicker viscosty it can't circulate through the small abs modules orifaces as well.But for applications without abs, its far superior to glycol based brake fluids.Had it in my '88 Fiero Formula for 16 years & never a brake problem.Brake pedal was slightly "softer" because it compresses slghtly ,but otherwise its virtually a "lifetime" fluid ,so if you don't have abs its a good way to go.
                  geocor

Comment

Originally posted by Distephano:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JoshMcMadMac:
                    I believe that the V6's do have Traction Control, as there are instances when the light will come on in the 96.
                    This does not mean for sure that the car has traction control. I assume you mean the LOW TRAC light. This light comes on when there are conditions which will make the ABS system operate. My car does not have Traction Control, but if hit the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick on, that light comes on. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, cool. Thanks! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] It's nice to learn something new.
                    1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X