Does this sound right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound right?

Well I notice when I start my car up when the weather isn't really cold it seems like the engine is struggling to stay on. I actually took a video but it doesn't give the problem justice, it sounds a lot worse in person. I don't know whether or not this is "normal" or a problem. Or a problem but not really serious. If you listen closely in the video you can hear the the idle isn't steady, its like (woom woom woom woom). Like spurts. And the car shakes. Like I said the video sounds almost normal but if you listen closely you can hear it. I also noticed when I first started it, the RPMs were up above 1000, then drop to 900 or so for a sec then back up to over 1000. Car doesn't have a totally smooth idle until I put it into drive and drive it a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95g1JhS8p4
    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Re: Does this sound right?

This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
      This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.
      same thing

Comment

Sorry guys, try it now.
        2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Well to me it sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I'm not sure of it though so don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by insaneABOT View Post
            Well to me it sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I'm not sure of it though so don't quote me on that.

you've been quoted

I'm owned at work with no youtube but maybe you can get some carb cleaner and spray around in the engine bay and look for leaks. If you have some sort of vacuum leak this will find it, car will idle good for a few seconds, if not your out a few bucks for carb cleaner.
            Originally posted by kala
            I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
            parting her out

Comment

I'm not real good with cars, so I wouldn't know where to look for a vacuum leak.

I just bought a whisper lid and put it on today and the symptoms of this seem worse. The RPMs jump around and if I tap on the gas just a little bit the RPMs sore well past 2500k, when normally it wouldn't move that much at all. After the engine has been running a while it doesn't do it, but it has a slight shake when idle.
              2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by insaneABOT View Post
                No way, an exhaust leak wouldn't cause all this
                Originally posted by ViperRider View Post
                • Well I notice when I start my car up when the weather isn't really cold it seems like the engine is struggling to stay on.
                • If you listen closely in the video you can hear the the idle isn't steady, its like (woom woom woom woom). Like spurts. And the car shakes.
                • Like I said the video sounds almost normal but if you listen closely you can hear it. I also noticed when I first started it, the RPMs were up above 1000, then drop to 900 or so for a sec then back up to over 1000. Car doesn't have a totally smooth idle until I put it into drive and drive it a bit.
                Anyways, it's a misfire...check for burned wires, worn-out plugs, or a bad coilpack

Comment

It's normal for the car to idle at 1200 when cold. Have you tuned it up lately? Plugs wires? Fuel filter? All the good tune up parts.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well it doesn't have any of these symptoms when its real cold out. The car starts and the idle is steady and fine in the cold. Now that the weather is warmer, its going nuts.

I've been reading up on vacuum leaks and I'm leaning toward that, but why only when the weather is warmer?

The RPMs aren't supposed to jump around and the car shouldn't bog like I have a cam or shake. Something is up, too bad I have no clue about anything.

Wouldn't a misfire affect the car while driving? The car is fine when driving.
                    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      Have you tuned it up lately? Plugs wires? Fuel filter? All the good tune up parts.
                      This would be a good place to start. Cleaning the injectors would help too.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok well the injectors have been cleaned twice since I've owned the car, 7k or so.

Fuel filter was replaced the day I got the car. 7k miles ago.

Plugs and wires? Hmm even though the car only has 53k?
                        2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

The parts are at least 6 years old now. Wires do go bad form age. How did the car act before you had the injectors cleaned?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                            The parts are at least 6 years old now. Wires do go bad form age. How did the car act before you had the injectors cleaned?
                            Well the symptoms were there but not as bad before I had the injectors cleaned. I'm not saying cleaning the injectors made it worse, I think it has gotten worse over time.
                            2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                              by ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                              1 week ago
                            • RPDRed6
                              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                              by RPDRed6
                              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • ssms5411
                              No start problem
                              by ssms5411
                              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X