Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car surges at high speeds?!

Hey guys,

I did a search on this topic, and could only find a couple responses about bad plugs/wires, or even poor fuel pressure.

I recently discovered this problem on the highway today, I was going about 90mph, and the car started to stutter (or surge) when I pushed the accelerator. From what it feels like inside the car is that the fuel is being cut on and off slightly....

I recently had an oil change, and added fuel injector cleaner. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.

Joe :(
    *OneQuickSix*<br />1998 3.8L V-6 Camaro<br />~A4 w/Y87~

I would do a fuel filter first, then plugs and wires, run an autotap if you can, see if you getting misfires, if it was missing that bad though, you would get a flashing SES. Fuel filter.

Tom
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

When I first got my camaro, (95 3.4L) I put some fuel injector cleaner in it. After I put it in, I noticed some slight roughness from the engine. It sounded like it would miss just one compression stroke. Kinda like *bump* and everything was fine afterwards.

Wondering if it was something to do with the cleaner, I noticed that the label said "treats up to 30 gallons." I put the whole thing in a 3/4 full tank.

Two or three tanks later it was just fine. I blamed the injector cleaner for the longest time, though I guess it could have been bad gass.

Just some food for thought.

-Brian
      Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

I was the one that originally posted this problem.
        Here's my solutions

1-Have the torque converter calibrated if you recently had the computer programmed, they reprogram your computer at the dealership without telling you

2-Replace the plugs and wires, I had to plugs the weren't in the best shape

3-Check the PCV valve my had siezed up

4-Check the EGR if you losing vacuum the car will have problems
        98 NOS\'d Camaro 3.8 A4<br />99 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 A4

Comment

you most likely have the faulty wires that gm will replace if a studder is occuring.

Simply take it in they will give you new wires and do all the work. Try it again and you will know if that was the problem or not with brand new wires.

Comment

Does it only surge at high speeds? Mine would do it whenever I would even out the throttle. Also experienced power loss. It was the cat.
            95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses.

I am still cluless to what it might be. I am also guessing it is the fuel injector cleaner... I have replaced my wires about a year ago with some Taylor 8mm ones, and I have TR6 Copper plugs I belive. I will have the plugs/wires checked out just to make sure.

I only really noticet e surgin at high speeds when I acellerate hard on the Highway... My fuel pressure at idle is set at 35-36 psi.

Also..what are the EGR and PCV valve?
              *OneQuickSix*<br />1998 3.8L V-6 Camaro<br />~A4 w/Y87~

Comment

Anyone have any insight towards this? I noticed this tonight coming home.

Granted I jsut had nitrous pulled out of the car last week and the fuel is not what it used to be, but it has been good all week. Just tonight it was giving me problems. I have new wires/plugs/coil packs/fuel filter/fuel pump

My guess is Water or Air in the fuel..
                1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>My guess is Water or Air in the fuel..
                  <hr></blockquote> I hope you have air in your fuel. straight gas would not be good for your car! ;)

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Camarorulz ]</p>
                  -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Problem solved, its the purge vavle. Way in the back of the motor. I guess its a relay that has something to do with emissions and it wasnt working for whatever reason..
                    1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

I have been having the same problem for a while now. I have replaced my plugs, wires, coils, PVC valve, and had my injectors cleaned. Dose anyone know where I can find more information on the Purge Valve? Possibly a pic?

Thanks

Chris

PS. This is my very first message. I have been reading the messages for about a year now but have not posted anything.

Comment

Whats a Purge Valve and where is it?
                        1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X