Need quick help on EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need quick help on EGR

I threw the DTC P1404 code = EGR Valve stuck open.

Possible because I was running a while with a clogged cat. Ooops.

Anyhow. I have the thing off my car and I am staring at it. How can I tell if it is broken or dirty.

What can I clean the valve with.
    Cardomain

You can clean it with carb cleaner. It is dirty if there is a black sut on it, it is pretty noticable. Use a toothbrush and some patience and ou'll have it in brand new shape in no time.
    1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

Ok I cleaned it all up, the guy at the autoparts store said to hook it up to a vacum to see if the valve sitll moves, I hooked it up,and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Im gonna have to see if I throw anymore codes, then reevaluate my options.
      Cardomain

Comment

Just as an update, that worked temporarily, but it came back a week later. After taking it off again, and taking a closer look, the valve is busted.

I finnally connected a noise I kept hearing, that I reported in this post. http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=003889#000000
        (that noone replied to :( )

I sounds like the valve lost its ability to close, and is forced open by my exhuast, then when the car is turned off, the clank, is the valve closing .

I will give another update when sometime next week after I get the part in and install it. My mileage should be better.
        Cardomain

Comment

Just get a new one!!! (taken from another thread):

"Oh BTW, I just bought an EGR today because mine went too (code1406).. it was suppose to be $200 at the dealership but I paid $152 (discount)... then I went to GM PartsDirect.com and it was like $100 Moral of the story....BY YOUR PARTS FROM GM PARTS DIRECT!!!"
          2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
          1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
          2011 Cadillac CTS-V
          2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

yeah, get a new one. I would also drop your cat down and make sure it is flowing. I burnt up an egr valve cuz my cat would clog when I accelerated. It would make the egr valve go tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tss as the exhaust was venting.
            UAH FSAE<br />Chief Engineer<br /> <a href=\"http://chargermotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://chargermotorsports.com</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/camaronat\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/camaronat</a>

Comment

New Valve in. And a gas tank later. This time 280 miles to the tank rather than 220. I got 60 more miles in city driving.

Now Im getting around 20mpg rather than 16.
              Wahoo.
              Cardomain

Comment

thats all im getting like 325 a tank still and i have 57# hour injectors :eek: and a big cam and the hole motor is biult for boost (running N/A right now)
                www.turbov6camaro.com
                1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I get about 325 on primarily stock setup. you r burning up way too much gas.
                  Ummad!<br />2k pewter maro M5. 160 thermo, WhisperLid w/K&N Filter, Jet PCM Stage 2, Free Ram Air, Air Silencer Delete (purchased already and) waiting to install manual fan switch, air/fuel ratio guage.

Comment

im pulling 300 something
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I wish I could get more, but I think it is just my location.

I am at Sea level to begin with, and Socal City driving is bad. Lots and Lots of idling and stop and go under 25mph.

When I took a trip to San Diego( all Highway), when my car had less miles, I could get somewhere around 350 miles to the tank.

If there is anything else I could do, let me know.
                      Cardomain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X