My camaro is shutting off when I'm driving. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My camaro is shutting off when I'm driving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My camaro is shutting off when I'm driving.

Hi everyone.

My camaro is shutting off wild I'm driving. I have been notice my car light are dimming when I let go off the gas, but when I step on the gas it goes back to normal. Also the battery gauges goes full to no power and then it shuttes off. Do you guys think I need to buy a new alternator or the battery?

Thanks.

Re: My camaro is shutting off when I'm driving.

Sounds like the alternator to me.

Comment

try battery first, its easier, unless your battery is brand new

Comment

I'd check the battery connections, clean the terminals, then check grounds.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I went to auto zone to do a battery and alternator test. Also they said the alternator is working fine, but at the end of the test I notice the battery gauge went to no power. From the test we notice the battery was dead so I bought a new one. Also I clean the terminals on the battery connections. When I started driving the battery gauge started doing it again until it shut off. I'm still thinking is the alternator that is dieing slowly. Where is the ground on the battery located? :(

Comment

The ground is the black wire. Follow it down to the frame rail.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I'm going to go with blinker fluid.
              Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                lol
                check the 2 small wires connected to the alternator you regulator is probably flaking out but make sure there connected well

Comment

Were is the regulator located?

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by youngsc View Post

Comment

the regulator is internal its inside the alternator

Comment

Did you wipe off your blinker dipstick first? Sometimes you get false readings.

Comment

i had that problem once. checked my battery and the neg wasnt tight. tightened it up no more shutting off. and i suggest cleaning all grounds, connections with little water and baking soda.
                          Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I checked the fuse block and everything look ok. I went to advance auto to get a second opinion with this problem. They did the alternator test again. The guy said that alternator is running at the moment 78mz, and it supposedly 85mz to charge the battery. He also said the alternator is dieing slowly need replace soon. Any way I have notice when I have the radio, heater, windshield wiper, and defroster on. The battery gauge start going down slowly to the point all the lights start dimming and want to shut off. When I shut off the radio, heater, windshield wiper, and defroster the battery gauge start slowly going up, but not to much. It look like I have to buy a new alternator this suck . I have a question for you guys. Do you guys think is a good idea to buy a new belt with the new alternator or not? If so what type is go for our cars? I never bought a new belt for my Camaro before.
                            Thanks guys for the help.

Comment

change the belt if it needs it. youll know if you need a new belt if it is super cracked, and loose, like it flexs more than it should. when belts get old they stretch a little bit. check the belt before you change it. you might as well change it if you think its old. belts last a good at LEAST 15,000 miles or so, if not way more
                              Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X