Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine Loses Power

Originally posted by RickS View Post
    The wires and plugs look fine. Firing order is correct. The cat does not glow or bulge. If I have the mechanic disconnect the exhaust before the cat, will there be enough back pressure for the car to run correctly? (just long enough to see if it bogs down when revved)

Rick
    I dont see why not...ppl put cut outs back there...whats that 1406 code? did you look it up?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ighlight=P1406

these guys said it might be there coil packs were bad...but usually they test fine until warm...or possibly the ICM...might wanna have those tested...also another good point...could be the EGR...but those both dont explain the overheating problem...unless of course you are leaking oil into your coolant and it has clogged your hoses somewhere along the line, and the coolant is not circulating (dont even know if thats possible)...I do know mine was pretty damn bad and it still circulated...just blew the hose off after awhile....

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I bet the mechanic did the fuel pressure check with the car at idle. How much do you want to bet that the pressure drops at higher engine loads/fuel flow. I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator.
        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
          http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ighlight=P1406

these guys said it might be there coil packs were bad...but usually they test fine until warm...or possibly the ICM...might wanna have those tested...also another good point...could be the EGR...but those both dont explain the overheating problem...unless of course you are leaking oil into your coolant and it has clogged your hoses somewhere along the line, and the coolant is not circulating (dont even know if thats possible)...I do know mine was pretty damn bad and it still circulated...just blew the hose off after awhile....
          We change the coilpack with a known working set, it didn't help. I removed the EGR valve and checked it physically and it seemed fine (moved freely inside). I replaced the EGR Valve gasket too since it looked a bit worn.

I have not checked or tested the ICM. I may have to order an EGR Valve, but at $195, I want to be pretty sure hers is bad before replacing it.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            I dont see why not...ppl put cut outs back there...whats that 1406 code? did you look it up?
            EGR Pintle Position Error. I did pull and check the EGR as I was told it could be a stuck pintle from built up carbon, but it seems to move freely.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB View Post
              I bet the mechanic did the fuel pressure check with the car at idle. How much do you want to bet that the pressure drops at higher engine loads/fuel flow. I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator.
              I will mention that to him when I get out of work tonight.

Rick

Comment

I changed the EGR Valve, as it was one of the codes I was getting.

We checked the fuel pressure and the regulator, no go.

Finally, just because it was bugging at us, we replaced the cat, even though it didn't glow red when run, it didn't smell of eggs, it wasn't bulged, it didn't rattle.. but we changed it anyways. Fixed the problem with the lack of power.

The water in the oil cap, was probably condensation. The oil was changed just in case and the cooling system will be flushed too in the near future.

The cat was clogged, it caused the car's computer to throw a fit, which I assume caused the P0300 (random misfire) and the misfire caused the car to overheat.

So, at this point my wife has her car back and it seems to be running fine.

Rick

Comment

First off, Welcome to the Forums!!! We're always glad to have another F-Body fan on here!!

Second, coolant or water in the oil filler cap is not just a coincidence... you have a leaking intake manifold gasket. If I were you, I would purchase a Chilton's or Hayne's Repair manual and the upper and lower intake gaskets at your local parts store and just do it just so you know for sure that they are good. Piece of mind goes a long way, ya know :P

Bad intake manifold gaskets are probably one of the most common problems for the 3.8L V6, BTW...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X