Throwin a code. 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwin a code. 3.4

my 3.4 "sometimes" throws an SES light. It only comes on when i've driven for an extended period of time and over a certain mph such as 55 .

Does that mean EGR?

Getting the code scanned is not that simple, my bastard obd 1 is near impossible to read and a shop charges a large sum of money just to get it diagnosed.

Any ideas on what that code might be based on what conditions it comes on?

Or do i just poney up the dough and take it to a shop to have it scanned?

thanks

max

Re: Throwin a code. 3.4

Did you try buying a OBD 1 code scanner? If your going to work on your car you should have one. Code could be anything, no point in guessing.
    sigpic

Comment

those things are like 300$

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
        those things are like 300$
        And how much is it every time you have a shop scan it? After a few time it pays to buy the scanner.
        sigpic

Comment

its the EGR. my old 3.4 did it all the time.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
            its the EGR. my old 3.4 did it all the time.
            thats what i recall hearin bout the codes comin on at high speeds etc.

now what exactly is wrong with it? just need a cleaning?

I feel like an idiot cuz i had the whole egr out this past month and i bought carb cleaner but i was too lazy to clean it up then. :(

yo Bibber, any info on why it throws a code at that certain time and why the EGR is throwin a code to begin with?

also some cleaning tips? (if thats what needs to be done.)

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
              And how much is it every time you have a shop scan it? After a few time it pays to buy the scanner.
              good point

Comment

My 3.4 does the exact same thing during a long highway run. Honestly, since it does not run any different when the light comes on I just ignore it. I have also heard it is the EGR, so it will be interesting to see what the fix is. Cleaning it or replacing it???

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
                  My 3.4 does the exact same thing during a long highway run. Honestly, since it does not run any different when the light comes on I just ignore it. I have also heard it is the EGR, so it will be interesting to see what the fix is. Cleaning it or replacing it???
                  hahah replacement is out of the Question. I think it's a couple hundred for a new EGR.

I've taken it out before with no difficulty so perhaps i will do it again and just clean the crap out of it. Then again i am Extremely lazy and have other things on the agenda before i get to something that isn't actually car harming.

Still, i should like to know why it throws the code in the first place.

Comment

I agree. Usually mine throws the SES light during a long run at a constant speed. Again, no symptoms at all, just the light. A good cleaning would probably help.

Comment

any tips here on how to clean out an EGR? do i just blast it with carb cleaner and run a wire brush through the tunnels or what?

Comment

mine was throwing a code, so i took it off. still threw a code under similar conditions. 50-60mph then coasting. but it never happens all the time either way.

so when i took it off i took it apart to clean. i mustve not paid attention because since i put it back together, it leaks. theres a gasket that i think is bad, and i have no idea how to get another. its not the one between the egr and the engine, but between two halves of the egr.

edit:

i did some reading on obd-2, and im sure obd-1 implements similar measures.

theres something called a drive cycle, which is basically a list of **** to do to make sure your obd-2 tests everything it can. one step is:
                        From 55mph; decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

i dont know a whole lot about emissions systems. does the 3.4l have an evap/purge valve...thing?
                        Last edited by notsonic; 06-21-2008, 09:06 AM.
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

eureka!

my code usually comes on after i've been on cruise at 55 mph for a couple minutes after i have turned off cruise control and let it peter out. it must be the EGR!

btw, my egr gaskets are easily attained at any advanced auto. it is a good idea to replace all 3 if you take the egr out to clean it.

i still need some ideas on HOW to clean the EGR.

max

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                            btw, my egr gaskets are easily attained at any advanced auto. it is a good idea to replace all 3 if you take the egr out to clean it.
                            i changed the one that goes from the tube to the intake, and the one with the big U shape that goes between the egr and the whatever it mounts too.

the gasket im talking about is part of the egr valve it self. i dont knof if its a replaceable/easily found part. guess i never really looked though.

these three come up on autozone and its not any of em, :[

<a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

these are the only 3 gaskets used on the EGR, so i have no idea what your talking about, well... technically there are 4 gaskets, 2 for the egr tube (1 for the intake side, one for the egr side of the tube) these ones are shaped like the bottom most gasket in the pics. then there is the gasket that is sandwitched between the digital egr and the egr itself, this is the first picture, then there is the gasket that connects the bottom of the egr to the manifold itself, or if you have headers, to the headers. that is the triangular shaped gasket in the middle, either way that should be all that you need in regards to gaskets, which one that i mentioned are you talking about?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X