She's finally at it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's finally at it again...

Last night I was driving to Huber Heights here in Ohio...and the whole way there she was fine. Well I was running low on gas, so I started to pull into speedway and she started running real rough.

So I put gas in her, and left speedway, still running rough. I made it to my friend's house ( 1 am ) and looked in the engine bay and heard some tapping. I immediately looked for arching wires...I found two, cylinder 2 and 4. I made it back to my place and I pulled the wires off ( 2am ) and didn't see any burn marks...so we waited until morning and I went and bought some AC Delco wires, and put them on. It calmed the miss fire down, and cured the arching...however...it didn't cure the miss fire.

I pulled the plugs, and the plugs look fine, no major carbon build up, just signs of running lean...

I put it to an OBDII scanner and picked up 7 codes ( low MAF output, that's me I unplugged it to see how it ran...when the MAF originally went out she ran better without it. ), 2 Random Multiple Cylinder Miss Fires, 2 System too lean bank 1 and bank 2 and 2 pending system too lean bank 1 and 2.

My first thought "...O2 sensors. " but I thought about it, and hooked it up to one of the more expensive OBDII scanners, and both the O2's are running the exact same output still, and the simulator on the 3rd O2 is still running fine. My sensors came out fine as well.

...so I hooked up a Fuel pressure test gauge on it. At key on when the fuel pump is priming it shoots to 50psi, and then down to about 42. I turn her on and it stays at 41-42. I gave it a little bit of a rev about half way through my rpms, and it dropped to 38.

...Ideas?

Also, it never did this before, but right now as it sits, whenever the clutch is engaged it makes a tapping sound around the clutch assembly, and when I disengage it's quiet...never did it before...

Ideas? I want to blame the coil packs and ICM....but that doesn't really explain the fuel pressure.

Re: She's finally at it again...

Are you kidding? You unplugged the MAF and wonder why its running too lean? Thats the reason you it was running "better" before. Leaner=more power/more fail. The fuel pressure is probably just your computer being pissed off.

Comment

Clear the codes and reset the fuel trims and see what codes set then.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zpwn06 View Post
        Are you kidding? You unplugged the MAF and wonder why its running too lean? Thats the reason you it was running "better" before. Leaner=more power/more fail. The fuel pressure is probably just your computer being pissed off.

:slap:

It's been reset, and it was throwing the lean code BEFORE it was unplugged.

In my post you can see that I previously unplugged the MAF when it went out before, thus, I have a new one and it's plugged in...

I don't think my car would run a 15.26@91 without the MAF plugged in.

Before I didn't have a lean problem, the MAF had gone out and I ran it with it unplugged to go get a new one, and it didn't hesitate.

I'm not an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          Clear the codes and reset the fuel trims and see what codes set then.
          I had them cleared and it threw up the same ones.

I checked the resistance in my driver side injectors and they were ( cylinders 1 3 5 )

12.xx, 12.xx, 13.3

I didn't bother checking the other side because it was getting dark, and with the screwdriver trick and such you can feel a good amount of pulsating out of them...however the cylinder 3 and cylinder 5 injectors aren't prominant pulsating as the others, but they SEEM steady.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post

:slap:

It's been reset, and it was throwing the lean code BEFORE it was unplugged.

In my post you can see that I previously unplugged the MAF when it went out before, thus, I have a new one and it's plugged in...

I don't think my car would run a 15.26@91 without the MAF plugged in.

Before I didn't have a lean problem, the MAF had gone out

I'm not an idiot.
            my bad. It seemed from the wording like you still had it out, so assumed you were. my badness.

Comment

Originally posted by zpwn06 View Post
              my bad. It seemed from the wording like you still had it out, so assumed you were. my badness.
              It's cool. Sorry if I seemed like an ***. I've been sick for almost two weeks now ( sinus related, not viral. ), and stressed out from figuring out what's wrong.

Comment

The O2 voltage should be jumping around all the time, They really should never be reading the same voltage. The post CAT O2 doesn't have an effect on engine tuning, it just checks CAT efficiency. Can you read the fuel trims with the scanner?
                sigpic

Comment

could be the FPR.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                    could be the FPR.
                    That never came to mind.

I'm changing out the fuel filter in the morning. It's not a horrible miss fire, it's slight, but enough to make me not want to drive it...It idles between 800-1000 rpms constantly and you can hear the miss fire through the exhaust. =(...

It started doing this crap when I was almost out of gas, so I'm just crossing fingers hoping for the filter having clogged...rather than the pump getting weaker or anything.

Comment

i dont think the pump will get "weaker"

usually its a hit or miss, the pump works fine, or it doesnt work at all

Comment

ya try the easy things first. could just be the fuel filter, but it wont suprise me one bit if its the FPR. when they go it usually causes some misfires.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                        Or this

Comment

Alright...fuel filter changed, it was dirty...but it wasn't the problem.

I'm changing the Fuel Pump Relay next, and the last thing would be the injectors. There is a tapping sound coming from the motor under acceleration...and it sounds electronic like a solenoid. ( not a rod knock trust me, I know that sound. lol. )

Comment

ther are only 2 things that will drop your fuel pressure a bad fpr or a bad pump your computer being "mad" lol will not do that the only control your computer has on the fuel pump is on and off

Comment

did you check the fuel pressure regulator? if the fuel pump relay is messed it wouldnt run at all and its pretty rare that they do go anyways.

Follow me!
                              Or this

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X