zo6 engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Man Has Spoken! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    -Matt<br />Manager/Tech Support<br />Precision Speed & High Performance<br /><br />visit us on the web at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.precisionspeedonline.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.precisionspeedonline.net</a>

Comment

ok go over to ls1tech.com and tell them they have ls6 blocks in there f-bodies i'll think you'll get a surprise.
      i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

also there are alot more differences between the blocks than just a pcv tube. and the heads are not just freer flowing they have things like sodium filled valves and such to make things lighter. they did a whole breakdown of the engine and all the differences in an issue of GMHTP. i'll try and find which one and let ya know. i think if you just ask some guys over at ls1tech they'll help clear things up for you.
        i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

My point to my previous reply was to point out the fact that the engine in the '01+ V8 F-bodies is not an LS6. You are correct about the LS6 intake (I agreed with you on that point). I know about the revised PCV system for the LS6, & I also know about the cam being different, as well. I felt as though some folks might be getting confused thinking the '01+ LS1's were in fact LS6's, whereas they are not. Granted, they may use the same block (haven't researched that area), but the powerplant is not the same.
          2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

still the same block, standard ls1. the ls6 better oiling system that allows it to rev higher(alot safer, the Z06 has a higher redline than the standard corvette and fbody partially due to the block). it is machined different from the ls1. if they had put the ls6 block in the v8 camaro and firebird they would have made a big deal about it cause it would have been a big deal.

Comment

LS1=LS6 with a few beefer mods.Basically a LS1 can be made into a like LS6.

No STOCK F-Body or C5 has a LS6 in it.

The LS6 is to the LS1 like the LT1 is to the LT4.Same block,just little different internals.
              2000 Navy Blue Firebird <br />3.8 A4 Y87<br />Member of the MTFBA (Middle Tennessee F-Body Association)<br />Factory dual exhaust,Pontiac Decal on w/s Cutout,A/F Ratio & FP guages<br />K&N Filter Taylor Spiro-Pro plug wires and NGK TR6\'s<br />Whisper lid,NX Wet 50 shot<br />Hotchkis LCA\'s & Panhard,Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 245/50ZR16<br />SLP Strut Tower Brace<br />NA 1/4-15.132@89.29 2.194 60\'<br />N20 1/4-14.174@98.04 2.228 60\'<br />F-Body Gathering 5 Trophy Winner

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Barry:
                The LS6 is to the LS1 like the LT1 is to the LT4.Same block,just little different internals.<hr></blockquote>

That's one way to look at it.
                2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Barry:
                  LS1=LS6 with a few beefer mods.Basically a LS1 can be made into a like LS6.

No STOCK F-Body or C5 has a LS6 in it.

The LS6 is to the LS1 like the LT1 is to the LT4.Same block,just little different internals.
                  <hr></blockquote>

Yep!

LS6-ZO6
                  LS1- C5 and F-bodies

I say save the cash and buy an LS1, stage 2 port, Z06 intake, cam, dynatech headers, o/r y-pipe, borla exhaust, tuning, and a 100 direct port shot and make more power than the LS6.
                  Black 96 Z/28, A4, T-tops, tint, 2.73 LSD, Kenwood.<br /><br />Previous Camaro: Bright white 86 Camaro, MPI 2.8 A4 3.42, tint, Z-28 wheels, a few goodies.

Comment

Hey guys I didn't read each and every post, so if these questions have already been answered don't get angry at me answering them once again. First, the LS1 and LS6 share the same block and bottom end. The only difference between these two motors is the intake manifold ('98-'00 F-bodys), cam, heads and computer tuning. Yes, that is the only differences between these two motors. Now to answer if you can put an LS1 into an early 4th generation F-body. Yes, you can most certainly can do this and without changing the nose to the new body style. The only thing you have to do differently from the "new body" is in the intake system. You can't just run it straight forward like the newer F-bodys have. You must run it just like the LT1 or find some other way to do this. Such as a ram air hood and so on. Also the LS6 is only in the Z06 Corvette. No F-body has ever had the LS6 from the factory. The 2001-2002 F-bodys have the LS6 intake from the factory from what I understand, but I have never seen any written proof of this from GM. I only know what I have heard about the LS6 intake being on the 2001-2002 F-bodys from friends at work and people really involved in hot rodding the LS1s. As for the other information I do have a good understanding of these motors. I work on them just about every day. I do work for Chevrolet. I Just though I should say that. Not to be an *** or I know more than you all. I Just wanted to let you know I'm not just talking out of my hat and/or trying to mislead you all. Hope this helps. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                    <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/6330/VicCamaro.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>*1997 Silver Camaro A4/3.08*</b></a><br /><b>Best 1/4</b>(December 17, 2003)<br />Race weight: 3580lbs w/driver <br />RT: .396 1/4: 14.93 60\': 2.08 MPH: 89.73<br /><b>Mods</b><br />&gt;Flowmaster 80 muffler (muffler only) &gt;Homemade cold air with K&N 1000cfm cone filter &gt;Trans-go Shift Kit &gt;2400-2600 TCI converter<p><b>*1969 Camaro SS*</b><br />*502ci (92-octane pump gas)<br />*2-speed powerglide<br /><b>Best 1/4:</b>1.34 60ft 9.78@138.12mph (Aug 16, 2003)

Comment

What really gets fun is figuring out the differences in the F-Boby LS1 and the C5 LS1. :D [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                      2000 Navy Blue Firebird <br />3.8 A4 Y87<br />Member of the MTFBA (Middle Tennessee F-Body Association)<br />Factory dual exhaust,Pontiac Decal on w/s Cutout,A/F Ratio & FP guages<br />K&N Filter Taylor Spiro-Pro plug wires and NGK TR6\'s<br />Whisper lid,NX Wet 50 shot<br />Hotchkis LCA\'s & Panhard,Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 245/50ZR16<br />SLP Strut Tower Brace<br />NA 1/4-15.132@89.29 2.194 60\'<br />N20 1/4-14.174@98.04 2.228 60\'<br />F-Body Gathering 5 Trophy Winner

Comment

ls1 and ls6 block are different. you can't turn an ls1 block into an ls6 block without tons of work and quite a bit of money

Comment

He's right. The internals of the LS6 are different. Every single place inside the engine where air can flow has been redesigned to flow straiter and smoother. Not just the heads and the intake, like some believe. The compression ratio was also bumped up from 10.1:1 to 10.5:1. There are a few more differences, such as the oil consumption issue. But you cannot ( :mad: CANNOT!!! :mad: ) just change parts on an LS1 and make it into and LS6. However, with new heads, cam, exhaust, chip, you can push the same ammount of power very easily. ;)

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: silvachris1 ]</p>
                          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

All you have to do to get well over 10.5:1 cr on an ls1 block is get the heads milled.
                            Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

tell me right here in this GM link where it says that the LS6 is an option
                              http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/index_features.htm

thats the fbodies...

now on to the vette... z06 is THE only one! I have written proof too!
                              http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/li...ex_chassis.htm

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: MrCoffee ]</p>

Comment

please.. I've researched this topic indefinatly! While I may not be an expert, I know the basics. I could post links to sites that give hitory of the 2 engines, comparisons, I have a whole folder of book marked links just for LS6! Its only available on the z06 vette... and has a few modified parts over the LS1.

People might upgrade their LS1 with LS6 parts, because they are the same block.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X