no heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no heat

I posted in another thread but it was old. I only have heat when the car is at idle when under normal driving conditions, it goes from warm to cold in a matter of minutes and stays cold untill i come to a stop and sit there for a few minutes to warm back up. anyone know what my problem is? i just replaced the radiator less then a month ago.

Thanks
    cold Chris
    94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Dude i have the same proble. I ONLY have heat when my car is is standing still or i keep speeds at less than around 55.

At speeds above 55 cold air cools down the engine and, i end up with no heat.

On the other hand if im idling the car it gets really hot in the car. I still havent figured out why this is. I have the stock 195 stat and a fan switch, but i turn off the fan so the car will heat up.

Comment

i hear ya man...that is what i'm dealing with now...standing still the heat will burn you..but drivng after a few minutes the damn thing gets cold??

I checked the haynes manual but that really didnt tell me anything about my problem
      94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

Same prob here! I bought the DIY flush kit at Autozone and flushed the radiator and the heater core. You hook a water hose up to the inlet hose that leads to the heater core. You turn on the water and let the engine idle at normal temp for 10 minutes. I ran the water twice as long as the recomended so all of the crud should be flushed out.

I had some overheating problems beginning to arise back in the fall so I replaced my water pump. The old one looked brand new, but I figured I'd put the new one on there while I had the old one off.

However, I have no heat when driving around. It tries to heat up when it's not moving, but is barely gets warm. I took a look at my radiator when I replaced my water pump and it was pretty clogged up. I'm hoping to pull it this spring and get it rodded and cleaned.

I think my radiator may still be clogged. When I run the car for a while the upper radiator hose is very tight, like it's about to bust. And sometimes when I turn the car off, I hear a gurgling/bubbling noise from the engine compartment. It only lasts about 10 seconds.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to let you know what I've been trying and waht has/hasn't worked so far. Good luck with yours and keep us posted if you figure something out. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        95 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Bosch plugs/MSD wires, K&N FIPK , Magnaflow catback, hi-flo cat, B&M Shift+, Dee\'s spacer<br />Kenwood KDX-859, eXcelon Amps, Infinity Kappa 3-way doors and Perfect10 sub<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/harbins95\" target=\"_blank\">Behold, the raw fury that is known as the 3.4!!!</a>

Comment

the upper radiator hose is tight b/c of the pressure built up from being so hot. thats normal

but i just replace my radiator less than 2 months ago? I have no idea what causes this? Maybe it is just too damn cold out?

I know i've seen like big trucks and even work vans put a peice of cardboard over the grill to keep cold draft out...maybe thats what i have to do....but how would i do that?

anyone w/ any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks

Comment

It's probably because your thermostat is stuck open. Replace it and see what happens.

[ February 04, 2004: Message edited by: John D. ]</p>
            2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

if theromstat was stuck open, wouldn't it be cold all the time? Its not even like my car gets up that hot and then it gets cold....if im driving and the temp gauge is like 160..it will quickly go down and no heat will come out.

That is the reason y I dont think it is th t-stat, but i could be dead wrong..if I am, then explain how heat will come up once I stop moving?

Thanks

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cb1101:
                if theromstat was stuck open, wouldn't it be cold all the time? Its not even like my car gets up that hot and then it gets cold....if im driving and the temp gauge is like 160..it will quickly go down and no heat will come out.

That is the reason y I dont think it is th t-stat, but i could be dead wrong..if I am, then explain how heat will come up once I stop moving?

Thanks
                <hr></blockquote>

With the thermo open all the time and this cold weather the coolant stays very cool because it is constantly circulating with very cold air blowing over it.

When you come to a stop that cold air isn't blowing through the radiator therefore the coolant has a chance to heat back up a bit.
                2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I put my money on the thermo also..

expecially if its consistant..

Comment

i doubt all of us have thrmos stuck in the open position.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:
                      i doubt all of us have thrmos stuck in the open position.<hr></blockquote>

All 3 of you
                      :rolleyes:

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:
                        i doubt all of us have thrmos stuck in the open position.<hr></blockquote>

just be glad its stuck open and not closed!!!!!!
                        www.turbov6camaro.com
                        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I understand that the thermo is prob the cheapest way to look at it....but you can actually burn yourself on my heat when your standing still....i have had my thermo fail on me before and i never had heat like what i have now. But I will look into changing the stat anyway.

side note- the temp hasnt been as cold out as in recent weeks, and my heat improved dramatically!

Thanks for your help guys [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X