AC Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Issue

(I searched through the forums and while there are many posts about radiator fans and their problems, none seem to address what to do if the AC doesn't turn them on)

AC on my 98 Firebird quit pushing out cold air. My wife says that while I was in Iraq, she noticed smoke coming from the vents one day and smelled electrical burning. I've taken apart the dash and looked at the wiring there, and don't see anything that is noticeably wrong. Everything on the car runs fine with the exception of the AC (no noticeable electrical problems at all).

I've checked all fan relays and fuses, and checked the fan motors - both work when power is applied to them. Compressor relay is functioning. When the AC is on, the fans do not come on. Any ideas on where the problem would be?
    1998 Arctic White Firebird

Re: AC Issue

compressor could be on it's way out. the clutch could be done and that would cause grinding, sparks and maybe smoke.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

When you turn on the AC when you are in the car... is air being moved at all? Warm air even? If not, maybe the blower motor burned up.

Comment

Blower works, just no cold air coming out. Is there a simple way to test the compressor? Would a failing compressor cause the radiator fans not to turn (they never come on at all)?
        1998 Arctic White Firebird

Comment

Same problem here, the compressor doesn't engage and i don't listen the fans

Comment

If the AC system lost enough refigerant, the compressor will not turn on, and also the fans will not turn on. Turn on the AC and see if the front of the compressor pulley is spinning. If it is, then give it a minute and then feel the hoses at the reciever/dryer. They should be really cold. If they are only cool, or warm, then there is probably no refrigerant in the system. You can also hook up a pressure gauge to the port and check the system pressure.

What you can also do is, just use something to press in the valve on the port that is on the receiver/dryer. If gas comes out, there is still at least some pressure. If so, then get a can of R22 with seal conditioner and re-charge the system. Since your car is 10 years old, you could have a worn seal that may allow the refrigerant to leak out. If there is no gas coming out, then you cannot do this because air will have been introduced into the system. You then would have to take it somewhere to bew evacuated and re-charged.

I've had a couple of cars theat have suddenly one day lost their refrigerant, and it was a leaky seal. The seal conditioner fixed it.
            Last edited by Rob Bell; 05-20-2008, 09:35 AM.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I have check.

My compressor don't engage and the ac lines are hot.

Comment

Then try that test above to see if there is still any refrigerant left in the system. If there is, then get a can of R22 and try re-charging it. If no R22 comes out, then there is probably a leak other than the seals, which will have to be fixed. It will then have to be evacuated and re-charged.

What happens with the seals is that they can no longer hold the higher R22 charge. So the gas leaks out until it reaches a point where the seal can hold the remaining pressure. So if it's a leaky seal, you will still have some R22, just not enough to run the AC. If it's a cracked pipe, or evaporator or some other metal part, there will be an actual hole and all of the R22 will leak out.
                Last edited by Rob Bell; 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

you said you checked the AC clutch relay but did you verify the clutch is actualy engaging?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                    If the AC system lost enough refigerant, the compressor will not turn on, and also the fans will not turn on. Turn on the AC and see if the front of the compressor pulley is spinning. If it is, then give it a minute and then feel the hoses at the reciever/dryer. They should be really cold. If they are only cool, or warm, then there is probably no refrigerant in the system. You can also hook up a pressure gauge to the port and check the system pressure.

What you can also do is, just use something to press in the valve on the port that is on the receiver/dryer. If gas comes out, there is still at least some pressure. If so, then get a can of R22 with seal conditioner and re-charge the system. Since your car is 10 years old, you could have a worn seal that may allow the refrigerant to leak out. If there is no gas coming out, then you cannot do this because air will have been introduced into the system. You then would have to take it somewhere to bew evacuated and re-charged.

I've had a couple of cars theat have suddenly one day lost their refrigerant, and it was a leaky seal. The seal conditioner fixed it.
                    Dont use R22...Thats for residential central A/C condensors. R134A Might work a bit better in your car.

Comment

Where is located the relay and how test it?

Comment

My bad, I don't know what I was thinking with the R22. It's R134A.

The relay is probably in one of those boxes in the engine compartment, they house most, if not all, of the relays.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X