Collection of Upper Intake/TB and Valve Cover questions - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collection of Upper Intake/TB and Valve Cover questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection of Upper Intake/TB and Valve Cover questions

Hi all,

Fast description of what I'm doing: Pulling the upper intake and throttle body so I can get that lifter bracket off and redo the valve covers. I have a couple questions if anyone has a few minutes, I'm kinda new at this. It's a 1998 Firebird, A4.

1. Looking at everything it looks like I've gotta pull the cable for the throttle off the throttle body, anyone willing to give me a quick how-to as I don't want to break anything.

2. One of the torq bolts on the side of the throttle body is very rusted, I don't know if I'll be able to salvage it once it's off. It's one of the little ones mounted on the sides of the TB. Anyone know the size of them and where I might aquire a new one?

3. I've read alot of threads on the intake manifold, but I can't remember for sure, do I just need one gasket for the upper intake or is there a second one? I seem to remember something about an O shaped gasket somewhere in addition to the UI gasket?

4. The car has 98k miles on it, while I've got this stuff off, is there anything in either the intake manifold or under the valve covers I should consider replacing from wear?

5. Is there anything I can buy or do that will increase performance while I have these things off? I know I could look at the rockers, but I intend to have a cam/heads(Abbot probably) done in a few months so I'm going to stay at 1.6. Should I consider replacing them with better ones now or wait? Should I make an effort at polishing the TB/Upper Intake?(I do intend to get an Intake Manifold from Abbot too)

Thank you all for your time and patience!

Re: Collection of Upper Intake/TB and Valve Cover questions

As far as the plenum gasket, you can get it for like $10 at autozone, but they will probably have to order it.

I just ordered one yesterday that's how I know.. lol

As far as performance, I wouldn't even worry, just do whatever you are doing now, and then leave it until you do the cam.

Comment

Your not going to break the throttle cable, If I remember right, that and the passing gear simply need pushed and twisted the correct way outta the TB. Take that bolt to the hardware store/auto store, I'm sure they could hook you right up. While its apart, check that your maf screen is clean and clear. Wouldn't hurt to clean the stuff up a bit.

Comment

Also... while you are in there and have everything disassembled... whens the last time you changed out the lower intake gaskets?? Might want to change them for good measure and to know for certain they are good...

Comment

As mentioned above, if you have the upper intake and valve covers off, it's really not that hard to remove the lower intake and replace those gaskets as well. With 98k miles, it's probably good measure if it's never been replaced before. Some tips: Make sure you clean everything well. Clean all gasket material off completely before reassembling. If you remove the lower intake, there is a plastic 90* elbow in the front that goes into the tensioner bracket. DO NOT try to reuse it. It will probably break when you remove it anyway. Make sure there are no pieces of it left inside the tensioner or intake. Every Chevy, Pontiac, or Buick dealership will stock this part because they are replaced all the time in 3.8 motors. You might find the part at a local parts store, but good luck trying to explain to the yahoo at the counter what you need. Use a torque wrench and follow the propper torque sequence! The torque of the upper and lower intake is critical to the longevity of the parts.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

call me a lifesave now. I am gonna give you a very good tip. put a piece of wood against the back lift bracket and hit it with a hammer. It will bend it away so you can easily take off the valve cover w/o dissassembling your whole motor
            1997 Camaro LS1 RS
            1994 Camaro - Sold
            1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              As mentioned above, if you have the upper intake and valve covers off, it's really not that hard to remove the lower intake and replace those gaskets as well. With 98k miles, it's probably good measure if it's never been replaced before. Some tips: Make sure you clean everything well. Clean all gasket material off completely before reassembling. If you remove the lower intake, there is a plastic 90* elbow in the front that goes into the tensioner bracket. DO NOT try to reuse it. It will probably break when you remove it anyway. Make sure there are no pieces of it left inside the tensioner or intake. Every Chevy, Pontiac, or Buick dealership will stock this part because they are replaced all the time in 3.8 motors. You might find the part at a local parts store, but good luck trying to explain to the yahoo at the counter what you need. Use a torque wrench and follow the propper torque sequence! The torque of the upper and lower intake is critical to the longevity of the parts.
              Exactly... and as for the plastic elbow (you'll see exactly what we're talking about), I found it in the HELP section at my local O'Reilly's. Came in a package with 2 different elbows, the other you will not use. Was like $3-4.

Comment

Hey all!

Ty very much for the help! I may just go with TomRS's tip, but I am wondering if the intake needs maintainance anyways, so I'm going to think on it a bit. Since I'm going to be replacing the whole thing anyways before long, I might just beat of that bracket instead since it seems kind of a waste to pull the whole thing apart and work on it just to replace it in such a short amount of time.

Plus I don't have the proper torque sequence yet so I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

yep, it works, trust me
                  1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                  1994 Camaro - Sold
                  1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Originally posted by Slave One View Post
                    Exactly... and as for the plastic elbow (you'll see exactly what we're talking about), I found it in the HELP section at my local O'Reilly's. Came in a package with 2 different elbows, the other you will not use. Was like $3-4.
                    You will use both. The small one is for the intake to the tensioner the larger goes from the water pump housing to the tensioner.
                    sigpic

Comment

where in pittsburgh do you live?

Comment

I have a quick question related to this topic,
                        Does anyone know which, if any, of the lower intake or upper intake bolts needed thread tape on them? Which ones were into the coolant passages?
                        Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Rs View Post
                          yep, it works, trust me
                          I did it too. It was wellllll worth the time and effort saved. You don't have to worry about your intake manifolds at all. BTW, You can get to the rear lift bracket bolts from under the car. Just thought you should know.

Well **** i'm about a week behind.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Anyone know for sure which bolts from the upper and lower intake went into coolant passages, if any?
                            Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

None of them enter coolant passages.
                              -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X