Strange circular thing near OBD port - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange circular thing near OBD port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange circular thing near OBD port

Near the plug to read the OBD codes, i found this round thing, about the size of a roll of film, connected to a plug and wrapped around with electrical tape. My car is currently running like ****, dead spots in acceleration, low gas mileage, misfires, etc. Is this thing supposed to be there or did the previous owner put some sort of override to prevent any CEL's from coming on?

98 camaro, 5 speed, 90,000 mi
    Last edited by onspeed; 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM.

Re: Strange circular thing near OBD port

i dont have one there, mayb take a picture?

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Sounds like maybe a flasher??? Did one of your flashers fall from its housing and that is what you are seeing? The flashers are mounted right above the OBD port.

Comment

I'm going with Flasher on this one.... cylindrical (is that even close to spelled right?) silver thing.

Otherwise, have you checked your plugs/plug wires on the "runs like crap" condition? Otherwise fuel filter maybe.

Comment

sounds like the flasher relay that we're telling you about is the lest of your problems.

but yeah, sounds like a flasher to me.
          Y87 Package
          MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
          Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
          BONE APPROVED!
          VANBIBBER APPROVED!
          KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
          Team Black...TEAM EMO
          sigpic
          Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

yeah, i did some researching, its a flasher. As for the car, i changed the wires today, and it runs better, but accelerates worst. A little more jerky and hesitant when i step on it. So far i've changed plugs, air filter, fuel filter, wires, and PCV valve. Getting ~16 MPG driving very conservative. No CEL, i'm thinking coil pack or o2... but since they're both somewhat pricy, i don't want to go replacing them randomly. On a sidenote, why is it impossible to find a gas cap for my '98? I'm looking to buy a locking one, and autozone and advance auto doesn't carry caps for 98...

Comment

I would guess coil pack, misfires seem to indicate that. Should be able to get one for <$50. I paid $50 apiece for the MSD Blaster packs, the normal ones should run a bit less, IIRC like $30.

I have a 98 firebird, and I've had the same problems with my coil packs and wires as they went bad. I'm at 98k, so we're pretty much in the same boat. I just solved the problem by replacing all 3 coils, but I doubt you've got more than 1 bad one if that's what it is.

Comment

have you had any luck finding a gas cap?

Comment

... is the car throwing any codes? knowing those codes could help a bit.

And make sure you have the right firing order on your plug wires. ;)

Comment

car threw a code today (finally). Cylinder 4 misfire. Looking at the engine from the front of the car, how are the cylinders numbered? I'm thinking either my wire isn't in right, or my coil pack is going bad. Which coil pack is for cylinder 4? The closest one says 6/3, middle says 2/5, and the last one doesn't have any markings...
                    Last edited by onspeed; 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM.

Comment

number 4 cylinder should be the second piston back on the left side

edit* the one without the markings was probably replaces, and is your problem.. im betting

Comment

yeah, i'm leaning towards the coil too... any certain brand i should get or just shoot for the cheapest? the AC Delcos and MSD's are like 2x the price... any benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
                          yeah, i'm leaning towards the coil too... any certain brand i should get or just shoot for the cheapest? the AC Delcos and MSD's are like 2x the price... any benefits?
                          just buy a stock one

Comment

I was thinking about a locking gas cap, but does anyone know if you even can siphon gas out of the fourth gens? I heard that most US cars after '86 had screens in the fill pipe to prevent siphoning.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
                              I was thinking about a locking gas cap, but does anyone know if you even can siphon gas out of the fourth gens? I heard that most US cars after '86 had screens in the fill pipe to prevent siphoning.
                              iv never heard of this before

someone stole the gas out of a friends car, and it was a 97

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X