Problems just keep on acoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems just keep on acoming

Well becides all the other problems I am having with this piece of crap, this morning I started the car to here a loud knocking and ticking noise. I just about had a heart attack, thought I had spun a bearing. But, after a few minutes the noise got quiet and then totaly disapeared.

What would cause something like that?

Can a sticky lifter make that much noise and if so is there a additive I can use to try and lube it up?

Thanks in advance
    Modifications:<br />headers, throtle bod spacer, flowmaster, high flow magnaflow carsound cat, powerdyne sc with 2.9\" pulley and by-pass valve, walboro 255 fuel pump, spec stage 2 clutch, and HP Tuners

Did you happen to notice the oil pressure when you started it ?? There might not have been enough pressure at first. Typically, a lifter will not make any knocking noise, just loud tapping, but I'm realizing that these cars do strange things from time to time.
    \'97 Firebird 3.8 ... 1/4 mile = 12.50 (minutes)

Comment

No, I did not notice the oil pressure. Yesterday when I left work I heard it for just a second or 2 and then it was gone.
      Then this morning it last for about 3 or 4 minutes.
      Modifications:<br />headers, throtle bod spacer, flowmaster, high flow magnaflow carsound cat, powerdyne sc with 2.9\" pulley and by-pass valve, walboro 255 fuel pump, spec stage 2 clutch, and HP Tuners

Comment

was it cold outside?

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

In the low 50s

Comment

sounds like a sticky lifter, the only way i know of to fix it is to replace it. ive heard it in person before, i does sound really bad, but it sounds alot worse than it really is. it will usually only do it when the the car is cold.
            <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

Ya my car done it the other day when I hadnt cranked it in a couple of days in 30-50 degree weather. It only lasted for a about 15 seconds then went away. I guess its not really as bad of a thing as it sounds like as arcticacid said. Ive heard dozens of cars that tick slightly when first cranked after sitting for a few hours.
              1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

mine does when its mid 50 or below. thats why i asked.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

when i chcanged over the rockers you should have heard the engine for the first 30 secods.... i was expecting it though. the 'lifter' tick has not come back (that i have noticed) even when i change the oil. (some of my older hot rods always get that tick with oil change or when car sits for many days. have not noticed it on the 3.8 yet. it sounds like it can happen though after reading this thread.
                  01 Firebird A4 3.42
                  Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                  and other mods
                  Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by grayman:
                    when i chcanged over the rockers you should have heard the engine for the first 30 secods.... i was expecting it though. the 'lifter' tick has not come back (that i have noticed) even when i change the oil. (some of my older hot rods always get that tick with oil change or when car sits for many days. have not noticed it on the 3.8 yet. it sounds like it can happen though after reading this thread.
                    you should always remove the fuel injector fuse and crank the car till you see oil PSI on your gauge !!!! that lubes everything up before you start the motor !!!
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by grayman:
                      you should always remove the fuel injector fuse and crank the car till you see oil PSI on your gauge !!!! that lubes everything up before you start the motor !!! </font>[/QUOTE]yep, i did that. similar to pulling coil wire on older carb motor.

good tip though. thanks.
                      01 Firebird A4 3.42
                      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                      and other mods
                      Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

tHAT TICKIN NOISE IS WHAT U HEA ON START UP? FOR A FEW MOMENTS? sorry for the caps. I hear the same constant tickin on start up, i listen real close one day and got under the car. i realized its the combustion noises. after the cpu figures out air temp and all that other crap it does it, it settles down to an appropraite idle. U got nothing to fear.
                        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Actually it wasn't just a low tick it was loud and I could hear it sitting in the car. But, I put some seafoam in the oil and have not heard anything since. Hopefully it stays that way.

Comment

my silverado ticks for about 3 secs every time i start it. I dont worry about it, because all silverados do it.
                            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X