Junkyard Engine Mileage vs. Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junkyard Engine Mileage vs. Year?

Hi Guys! New to the forum just bought a 1996 camaro wanted one for a long time finally got one. I'm excited. Thiers so much awesome info on this board. Looking forward to alot of hours in the garge!

Question i got the camaro cheap 600 bux it's in good shape but the engine has a knock by the cam everyone that has heard it says the bearings are spun. So i need a new engine. I have a couple of engines all for the same price.

Same warranty, all junkyard engines compression tested all -that. So is it better to get a newer motor such as 00-02 or a 96-88 with them being easier to swap. My main concern is reliability. I don't main swapping out the manifolds , intake or DBW throttle. So mileage being the same is it better to go with the later year?

Now i know everyone will say well it depends on who drove it, how it was driven, maintenance all that. Those are things i can't find out and besides the basics of looking over an engine all things being the same, is it worth driving the extra 400 miles for the newer motor. Or just getting it local. Price is the same with extra gas. Sorry for the long post thatnks for the help!
    Last edited by TFOUR; 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM. Reason: Coherence

Re: Junkyard Engine Mileage vs. Year?

welcome to the boards, where ya from?
    Archer
    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

Disneyland, Florida oh wait i mean Orlando, Ha! Thanks for the welcome.
      Last edited by TFOUR; 06-03-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

If don't mind swapping all that stuff, go for it (I hear the DBW swap is a PITA). If it were me I'd get the right year. PCM will probably like it better too.

Comment

If i did do it I figure i would strip it treat it like a long block assembly and the car would never know the difference. Definitely not going with DBW. I think the other engine is a 1998 or 1997 so i'll still have to change some stuff over. I wonder if i could retain the headers with some mods until i could afford new ones?

Comment

You sound pretty committed to doing a good full swap...thats good. Do they have any
            ls1's laying around these junkyards? Might wanna price that out too. Welcome to the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by jdkvice View Post
              You sound pretty committed to doing a good full swap...thats good. Do they have any
              ls1's laying around these junkyards? Might wanna price that out too. Welcome to the boards.
              Very true... I mean, might as well while your at it... even an LT1 :rock:

Comment

LT1, Interesting.:stp:, Ls1 would be completely awesome can't afford one, right now as for an LT1 main concerns would be gas mileage. Also isn't thier a ton of extra stuff I would have to get? Almost sounds like I might be better off just selling the car and buying an LT1 f-body after all the expenses and work required. Wish the economy didn't suck right now. Looks like i'll have to stay with the v6.
                Last edited by TFOUR; 06-04-2008, 09:35 AM.

Comment

True true... I mean, dont get me wrong, the V6 is still a good choice :tup:

Go ahead and do the V6, and if you need more power ater on, you can always slap a turbo or shupercharger on it later :P

Comment

Bought the miami engine from TA creations, in miami long drive but they were real helpful halfway through swap it's a huge PITA. Kind of fun though Clutch is crapped to all hell. Had to go buy a new one, It was an exedy clutch being sold as a Luk. wierd. Thanks for the help ya'll, hopefully with some more time she'll be beast. Definitely a project car though. Bellhousing was missing bolt. Swear some of them were put on with air tools.
                    :slap:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X