No announcement yet.

from dino to synthetic blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are factors that govern how an engine breaks in and there are always exceptions to the rule! The vettes and vipers don't surprise me. Those engines are so stressed that break-in with synth oil is like a mineral oil break-in on a much less stressed engine?

Maybe this is straying away from the original subject here but I would really like to know,
    viper04af, how long did it take for your engine to break-in? One of the traditional indicators of break-in has been oil consumption. A new engine would burn a bit of oil, like 1 quart in 3K miles, reducing to very little or no oil consumption when broke in. Did you track this during your break-in? Also how hard did you run your engine during the break-in period?
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB:
      There are factors that govern how an engine breaks in and there are always exceptions to the rule! The vettes and vipers don't surprise me. Those engines are so stressed that break-in with synth oil is like a mineral oil break-in on a much less stressed engine?

Maybe this is straying away from the original subject here but I would really like to know,
      viper04af, how long did it take for your engine to break-in? One of the traditional indicators of break-in has been oil consumption. A new engine would burn a bit of oil, like 1 quart in 3K miles, reducing to very little or no oil consumption when broke in. Did you track this during your break-in? Also how hard did you run your engine during the break-in period?
      ehh it didn't eat any oil at break-in i check the oil every day!

i ran 30 minutes: start up and let it get to opp temp... then 10 mintes at 2000 rpm 10mintues at 2500 rpm and then shut it down and let it cool and change the oil and filter.....

then on the high way i got up to 35 and floored it (m5 auto can do the to buy slecting a gear) till i got up to 65-70 then let off the gas and let the motor slow the car to 35 MPH and repeat did that about 8-9 times and here and ther efor the first 100 miles...

then at 150 mile i put it on a dyno with al load for about 10 mintes.... then made 3 full gear pulls up to 140 MPH.....

i then raised the revlimter and had it after 300-400 miles....

turbo didn't come till 2k mark only becuase i change my mind on the kit i wanted.... other wise it would have got boost at 500 miles...

i could feel the wake up after the high way pulls.... and the vac on the motor was alot better..... it was ready !! !
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Yeah, sounds like she loosened up quite quickly!And that's probably why your break-in with synthetic worked for you. That is somewhat more severe (yet more attentive) then the average person would subject their car to. Using that routine with mineral oil would probably have worn some things excessively.

So, with what you tell me in mind, instead of saying NEVER, I will change my mantra and now say:
        1)use mineral oil for the break-in procedure recommended in the Owners Manual then switch to synthetic,
        or
        2) use synth for high powered/high stress style break-ins (or unless recommended by the engine manufacturer)

My father-in-law has the same phylosophy as you when it comes to break-in, except he doesn't use synthetic and it's not so "pre-planned"! He just drives really hard, and avoids constant light loads. The first few weeks of his owning a new car are always the most fun!
        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB:
          Yeah, sounds like she loosened up quite quickly!And that's probably why your break-in with synthetic worked for you. That is somewhat more severe (yet more attentive) then the average person would subject their car to. Using that routine with mineral oil would probably have worn some things excessively.

So, with what you tell me in mind, instead of saying NEVER, I will change my mantra and now say:
          1)use mineral oil for the break-in procedure recommended in the Owners Manual then switch to synthetic,
          or
          2) use synth for high powered/high stress style break-ins (or unless recommended by the engine manufacturer)

My father-in-law has the same phylosophy as you when it comes to break-in, except he doesn't use synthetic and it's not so "pre-planned"! He just drives really hard, and avoids constant light loads. The first few weeks of his owning a new car are always the most fun!
          rember N/A my car BARLY make 200 RWHP so its not stressed at all....

i follow the break the motor guy told me to.... took it back to him at the 250 mile mark and he said give it hell :D so i did......
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X