Surges in power???----HELP----

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surges in power???----HELP----

I have a 2000 V6 Camaro for which I have kept up all the usual maintenance. The problem is, in second gear under moderate to heavy acceleration the car feels as if it were surging in power. It is not something that happens with a stable frequency, rather more of a random occurrence. It seams as if maybe an ignition wire is loose. I have checked all of the wires and the coil packs to make sure that nothing was loose. I have also replaced the plugs and ran some injector cleaner with no improvement. I read somewhere that the older Camaros has some problems with heat around the plug wires causing them to deteriorate but everything looks good. I also thought it could be bad fuel but I have run a tank or two through it since the problem started. I have also replaced the fuel filter. I was hoping that this forum would have some good ideas as to where to start looking. Hopefully someone has already come across this problem and has found a fix for it.
    Thank you in advance
    Justin

This morning i had some problems starting the car. I got it started after a couple of min. It then died. Once i got it started again i looked under the hood. I got my hand close to the #4 spark plug wire and it shocked me through the coil side boot. I drove it to work and it died on me again so i had to push it. After sitting for a couple of min it started again so i popped the hood and pulled the #4 spark plug wire. The roughness of the idle didn't change much. I guess this means replace the wires. Right?

Comment

well, you pretty much answered ur own question. unless you replace them and the stumbling comes back...
      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Replace the wires, if it still hesitates and misfires, replace the coil.
        Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Just incase anyone else is having this problem, I think i have found the solution. I checked the resistance of the #4 wire and it read an open. Just to confirm i checked the #2 wire's resistance and it read 2.5k ohms. My new wires will be in tomorrow afternoon. While i was checking the wires i also noticed some rust buildup on the coil packs #3 and #4 posts so i went ahead and replaced all 3 coil packs. I am almost positive this will solve the problem. I have read some articles stating that heat buildup in the engine compartment causes premature detereoration of the wires and the boots. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the 2000 model? I do have the rounded headers which i heard is better for heat.
          Thanks again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X