Cylinder #5 Misfire. Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder #5 Misfire. Help...

Periodically my car would stuter and putter and I knew something was wrong but whenever I decided to go work on it, it would go away or only last for a short time. Yesterday my Service Engine Soon light came on and it started to putter again, except much worse. I took my car to Autozone and they looked at it. Turns out to be Cylinder #5 is misfiring. I have changed the spark plugs, my wires are like new and my coil pack is good. This leaves me with a dilemma. I got a printout of the stuff it could also be: Vacuum Leak, Injector Fault, High or Low Fuel Pressure. I don't know how to check the last 3. Please for the love of god help me.

Re: Cylinder #5 Misfire. Help...

You should change the wires too first, because the same thing happened to me and it was only the plugs and wires.

Comment

Originally posted by tbonebuggs View Post
      You should change the wires too first, because the same thing happened to me and it was only the plugs and wires.
      The thing is the wires are pretty new, less than a thousand miles on em. I just bought and changed the spark plug and still its no better. Did I mention that the Service Engine Soon light is on?

Comment

Have you checked to make sure the wire didn't come off the plug?

Comment

agreed dbl check your connections and make sure something didnt cause any damage to your wires

Comment

I had same thing happen to me earlier this week was cylinder 5 to. I just changed the cables, and plugs few weeks ago. It was the coil pack. Can also be the ICM,I believe autozone can check the coil packs and ICM, would be easiest thing to check first.

Comment

dude this is strange. my cylinder 5 was miss firing last night. i took it in today which is when they told me it was #5 and now i have no car all weekend because they didnt get to fix it and they kept my car cause there closed till monday. strange everyone gets cyl. 5 problems

Comment

Ill add my name to the list but ive got twice the problem, i have #3 and #5 misfires.. Just replaced all the plugs, the wires are good, put a bottle of sea foam in the last tank and a bottle of injector cleaner in this tank on top of that. Engine still bogs, only low RPMs tho, bogging stops between 2000-2500.. pretty sure im gonna replace the injectors.. Ive only had the car for a month too, fun stuff :tdown: :mad:

Comment

i know iv had mine for just over a month, this is my second car (first car i bought on my own). only has 68k.

Comment

Yah its my second car too and it only has 70K on it..

Comment

well cool. nice to know im not the only one having this problem with a low mileage car.

Comment

Are you positive your coil isn't taking a crap? Not that hard of a test, so you might as well do it if you havn't yet.

Do all the usual safety stuff, disconnect battery and all. Then do a quick label of the plug wires and pull them off the first two coil packs. Unbolt them, switch them, bolt back in, put wires back on in their position.

Go clear the codes and drive until you throw another code. See if it jumped to #3. If so then yes, your coil is bad. If not, and it still remains on 5, you can cross it off and move on to the next.

Murphy, you can try it to, just switch the rear two coils since you have a 3/5 misfire. 3 is front coil, 5 is middle.. but they could both have gone on you. Swap the rear two coils (you can do all this without removing the icm very easily) clear the codes and see if instead of a #5 misfire you now have a #1 misfire.

Not saying this is the cause of your problem, but seriously it will take you guys 10-15 minutes to switch them around, after that it's not that hard to go clear the codes and drive home.

I have had two coils go out on me within a week before (the 1/4 and the 5/2) so it does happen sometimes that the just happen to die at the same time. Especially for Murphy, being the front two coils maybe water worked it's way in their and did some damage.

Comment

did you check the crank shaft position sensor? it's at the bottom left front side of the motor. my car was periodically missing and i knew the ignition system was good cuz its all almost brand new so i just unplugged the crank sensor, blew it out and plugged it back in and the service engine light went out and it hasn't missed again yet

Comment

Originally posted by 00FlowCamaro View Post
                            Periodically my car would stuter and putter and I knew something was wrong but whenever I decided to go work on it, it would go away or only last for a short time. Yesterday my Service Engine Soon light came on and it started to putter again, except much worse. I took my car to Autozone and they looked at it. Turns out to be Cylinder #5 is misfiring. I
                            Hey 00FlowCamaro,

Does it sputter at around 2 rpm? Could be a coil thats not grounded properly; and check your plugs as well. Be careful though when you mess with that stuff, it can shock you!
                            Last edited by Leonard 3.8L; 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM.
                            Leonard
                            www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                            sigpic

Comment

Same thing happened to me. I replaced wires, plugs, and it was still there. It was one of the coil packs. Replaced all three from Advanced for $24 each, and runs great now. Took less than 30 minutes to replace all 3.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X