Getting REALLY bad gas mileage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting REALLY bad gas mileage.

I just bought my 94 Camaro 3.4 V6 about 3 weeks ago and I'm having really severe gas mileage problems. I'm getting approx 160 miles to a TANK. I just got rid of my 94 3.4 V6 Firebird and got about double that, without any tuneups.

The only thing that isn't stock from what I can tell is that there is a dual exhaust put on the car. Any noticeable problems that I can tell is that for some reason, in Overdrive (the car has both OD and D), when I dont give it much gas and lightly press the accelerator, I get a pretty bad vibration. It seems to go away if I give it more gas. It also seems to vibrate alot at idle at a stop light. I really dont see much of the vibration if I'm in just Drive, but in Drive, when I let off the accelerator at highway speeds and let it idle down abit, I sometimes will get a "pop" or small backfire...basically Im thinking its an exhaust problem but could that cause THAT much of a decline in MPG??? I can take pics of the exhaust and possibly even a movie of the vibration or anything if need be...I really dont want to have to get rid of this car but I cant afford to keep it if Im going to have to put $55 in every 150miles! thanx for any help!

Re: Getting REALLY bad gas mileage.

the vibrations COULD be your torque converter acting up...i'm not sure, but to me thats what it sounds like, and dual exhaust should deffinately not decrease your mileage, when i installed mine i gained about a 1 mpg. Also, your cat could be clogged and worn out. is the vibration you speak of a "felt" vibration, or an audible "rattle"?

Comment

The vibrations can be felt and heard. Its more of a rumble, as opposed to a rattle. Also, the emissions seem to be rather bad coming from the exhaust and I can usually smell abit of gas...

Comment

Have you checked/replaced the usual maintenance items? plugs/wires/filters/seafoam/etc? any CEL?

Comment

mines horrible too. probably worse than anyone here. i put 20 in at a time and that 20 is gone with 2 rides to the store. its breaking me.

i figure its the engine. gas is leaking inside the engine or something. cuz everything else is good. i havent tried seafoam yet. i do think my fuel pump is going out cuz it takes awhile to start but that can't be linked the bad gas mileage can it?

mine firebird has
          no cat
          glasspack muffler
          new fram fuel filter
          new autolite spark plugs
          duralast spark plug wires
          new pcv valve
          new fram air filter
          cleaned maf sensor
          no screen on throttle body
          cleaned egr valve
          Last edited by FastRidesOnly.com; 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

what causes a firebird/camaro to run rich? what should i check?

Comment

I think the EGR valve. When mine went bad I could smell the unburned gas in the exhaust air. Replaced it and then it was fine.

Comment

sorry to contribute a worthless post, but from the front page all it says is "getting really bad gas" lol sorry
                1999 v6 Camaro M5
                Automatic to Manual converted
                Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post
                  sorry to contribute a worthless post, but from the front page all it says is "getting really bad gas" lol sorry
                  HAHAHAHAHAHA
                  epic win

Comment

Originally posted by FastRidesOnly.com View Post
                    mine firebird has
                    no cat
                    new fram air filter
                    cleaned maf sensor
                    no screen on throttle body
                    have you tried putting urine in the gas tank? WTF? I'll bet your MAF is ruined.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X