How to remove the fuel lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the fuel lines?

I didn't realize the fuels lines were in such close proximity to the subframes until there was a flaming pool on the ground when welding in my SFCs.

I melted a hole in the main fuel line, and need to replace the rubber portion from under the driver seat to the engine bay where each side ties into metal lines. I fumbled with the connector right above the intake manifold for a few minutes but I have no idea how it's connected. So how do I remove this connector? I need to remove it and hopefully autozone or the like can order me in a new line without raping me too bad.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: How to remove the fuel lines?

its called a fuel line disconnect tool, go figure :)

its a little x shaped thing.

you need to get some kind of metal shield to put in between the fuel line and where your welding.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

[QUOTE=TheGr8Schlotzky;862653]...a flaming pool on the ground [/ QUOTE]

glad you noticed, and that the flame didnt run the line and cause some serious damage...

inadverdently damaging parts during repair/install FTL!

Comment

Actually I didn't notice it, my dad was near me talking to someone and started yelling "TROY!! TROY!!" I couldn't see the flames because the tint on the welding helmet was so dark. He grabbed a fire extinguisher and we saved it. The weld was actually finished at this point though, so the rest of the welding isn't close to the fuel lines..go figure.

So it's a little cheap tool bought at autozone or whatever?
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

yeah autozone has them like 6 bucks

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Sweet, thanks man.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

It'll make for a good story

Comment

good god man! thats nuts! glad you didnt blow up or something
                Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

wow troy lol
                  Y87 Package
                  MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                  Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                  BONE APPROVED!
                  VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                  KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                  Team Black...TEAM EMO
                  sigpic
                  Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

I know the spot your talking about on the SFC, I used a piece of copper plateing to cover the lines when welded on.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So I went to Autozone and picked up the fuel line disconnect tool you were talking about, the one that said it was for GM. It fit the two smaller lines perfectly, but one is slightly larger, and it's just this much too small. So I went back and got the more universal one, that had four sizes. The smallest size on this one was just slightly too big... WTF Today i went to three more autopart stores and nobody has anything between the big size on the smaller tool and the small size on the larger tool. Is it some wierd metric size? Where can i find the tool to take it off? These 10 mile bike rides are healthy but getting annoying LOL.

The car is stuck on four jackstands because as luck would have it, the hydraulic lines in the jack ruptured as I tried to get the car down, so now the jack garbage.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

the gm one works fine i dont know what your problem is. Push the tool in, push the line up and then back out. Use some muscle. Or if all else fails a small flathead screw driver works
                        Last edited by Meatyshells; 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM.

Comment

What the heck, I must have been damn near danger because I don't recall any fuel lines when I welded in my SFCs.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

yeah...those fuel lines can be a ***** to get off. i nearly bent my tool in half when i took my fuel rails off. just gotta give it some muscle

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                              These 10 mile bike rides are healthy but getting annoying LOL.
                              its so you can add the years to your life your car takes off.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X