Strange Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Leak

I was checking the coolant level yesterday and I noticed that it started leaking. I looked around and could see it pooling up around the water pump. The strange part is it only leaks when the radiator cap is off. As far as I can tell, it doesn't leak when the cap is closed. The car is a 94 3.4 M5. Anyone have any ideas? I'm confused.

Re: Strange Leak

keep the cap closed? Check those white rings around your heater hoses and make sure they're sealing correctly, sometimes they get jacked up.

Comment

Here's what might be happening. You ever dipped a straw into your drink, put your thumb on the end, and took it out? The drink stays in the straw until you release your thumb. That concept may apply here as well. Does it leak when the engine is running? How big a leak we talking about also...
      '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
      '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
      '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Logger View Post
        Here's what might be happening. You ever dipped a straw into your drink, put your thumb on the end, and took it out? The drink stays in the straw until you release your thumb.
        Thats exactly the analogy I was thinking. Which means he has a leak above the pump, right?

Comment

Not real sure where it would mean the pump was leaking. Regardless, the gasket and/or pump probably need to be replaced.
          '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
          '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
          '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

I checked around where the coolant was pooling up with the engine running, and it was leaking with the cap on. I just had the pump and gasket replaced a few months ago, but I don't know what else it could be. I wonder if the coolant could be sludging up again. I seem to have a problem with the coolant sludging up when I put real antifreeze in... I'll check tomorrow when I have more daylight. This is depressing though. :(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X