Do I have too many miles to use seafoam? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have too many miles to use seafoam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have too many miles to use seafoam?

I was told that if your car has too many miles you shouldn't use seafoam and I don't know if my car as had any kind of cleaner before I just cleaned my
    Throttle body and it really imporved my mpg and idle. The car has 143'000 miles so I'm getting up there any info would be great thanks. Oh it's my 3.8 98 camaro.

Re: Do I have too many miles to use seafoam?

i heard alot of opinions about this. i know a guy used seafoam at 180k on his s10 and after that he had to many problem.

Comment

hmm... correct me if im wrong, but seafoam is designed for high milage cars, it kind of cleans it out... i dumped a can of it in my gas tank about 130k... nothing went wrong.. i suppose it could remove something and expose a flaw? i think it would be fine though at 140k either way...

Comment

nah dude your good, i seafoamed my bro's 93 camaro with 155k miles on it.

Comment

The problem with sea-foaming higher mileage engines is that carbon deposits on the cylinder wall can come off, leaving a gap. Once everything is all worn in with a nice piece of carbon there, removing it is gonna let something leak through.

Now, if you are the original owner, or have run it for most of it's miles on higher octane gas, you're all set. Carbon deposits are more of a problem when using 87 octane. (the Mr. Boston of gasoline :D)

It's anyone's guess, but most likely you will be fine.

Comment

You'll probably not want to run it in your oil though, as it will probably expose some leaks you didn't know you had, or worsen ones you did.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

On the other hand, it might clean out some plugged tappets and runs, possibly saving the crank, and helping out the lifters.

Comment

Okay guys thanks I think I'm going to just put some in the tank and not the oil I haven't had it that long so I don't know it's back ground other then it was owned by a woman.

But thanks for the info.

Comment

Oh and one more thing does anyone know if the crank senor is magnetic?

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro98 JL View Post
                    Okay guys thanks I think I'm going to just put some in the tank and not the oil I haven't had it that long so I don't know it's back ground other then it was owned by a woman.

But thanks for the info.
                    oh no, not a woman. :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by GinsuGuy585 View Post
                      The problem with sea-foaming higher mileage engines is that carbon deposits on the cylinder wall can come off, leaving a gap. Once everything is all worn in with a nice piece of carbon there, removing it is gonna let something leak through.

Now, if you are the original owner, or have run it for most of it's miles on higher octane gas, you're all set. Carbon deposits are more of a problem when using 87 octane. (the Mr. Boston of gasoline :D)

It's anyone's guess, but most likely you will be fine.
                      please explain to me how running a fuel thats only difference is a higher resistance to knocking prevents carbon build up

Comment

93 octane has more oxygen in it... so it burns hotter, not just prevents knocking.

therefore, i think less carbon build up?

Comment

Originally posted by auto666 View Post
                          please explain to me how running a fuel thats only difference is a higher resistance to knocking prevents carbon build up
                          Ironically, you answered your own question.

If your engine is knocking, the ecu runs the engine at a richer setting. A rich A/F ratio causes more carbon buildup.

Prevent knocking -> prevent engine from running rich -> prevent carbon buildup

(I'm sure the percentage of n-octane affects the carbon buildup directly but I'm not sure in what way, or if it is even a positive affect.)

Oh and TKO: rofl @ women.

Comment

your car is ONLY good for seafoaming through the brake booster DO NOT put it in your oil unless you want to have fun replacing the oil pump and cam, and have metal flake all throughout your engine that will cause tremendous wear

Comment

Originally posted by GinsuGuy585 View Post
                              Ironically, you answered your own question.

If your engine is knocking, the ecu runs the engine at a richer setting. A rich A/F ratio causes more carbon buildup.

Prevent knocking -> prevent engine from running rich -> prevent carbon buildup

(I'm sure the percentage of n-octane affects the carbon buildup directly but I'm not sure in what way, or if it is even a positive affect.)

Oh and TKO: rofl @ women.
                              the engine doesnt run richer because of knocking, it retards the timing

running the car richer will do absolutly nothing, other than cause MORE knocking due to the increased pressure from the fuel in the cylinder

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X