Air conditioning clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air conditioning clutch

Hi, boy its been awhile since I posted. I've got a 2000 Camaro, 40k miles.

Need some help from someone with air conditioner pump experience. First of all, air works fine and is cold, so the compressor and clutch are functioning. At idle, with air off, I sometimes get a rubbing/scraping sound coming from the compressor. I've found that it is caused by the clutch rubbing on the pulley as it spins.
    Has anyone replaced a clutch without pulling the whole compressor out? Any ideas how to clean the clutch? I sprayed some lithium grease on the point where the two parts seem to be rubbing, and this helped a little. It's not a big problem, but annoying and embarrassing.

Thanks in advance!
    <b>2000 Camaro M5</b><br /><i>Whisper Lid, K&N Filter<br />B&M Ripper shifter<br />Zexel LSD<br />B&B Catback<br />Polished Engine Components, Polished Calipers<br />SFCs</i>

Re: Air conditioning clutch

i also have this same issue. it goes away after i run the a/c for awhile. cant get it to completely begone tho
    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

save yourself the time and just take it off. all you have to do is take the belt off then there is a few bolts that hold it.
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Thanks Heady, nice to know I'm not the only one. The clutch itself is about 50$ and would probably be an afternoon job if one could just get the old one off without pulling the whole compressor down...doesn't seem worth it to have to get AC recharged.
        <b>2000 Camaro M5</b><br /><i>Whisper Lid, K&N Filter<br />B&M Ripper shifter<br />Zexel LSD<br />B&B Catback<br />Polished Engine Components, Polished Calipers<br />SFCs</i>

Comment

you need to have special tools in order to take the clutch off

mine is doing the same exact thing

Comment

I've found that evacuating the AC system is very easy by using a hand-operated vacuum pump. I just did this the other day to another car of mine. You will need two of those hoses that are used to recharge the system. Cut the end off of one of them, so that the other end has the adapter that goes onto the AC system. The other end will be bare hose. Then with the vacuum pump, put one of the little plastic adapters into the hose and start pumping the air out. The recommended vacuum level is 29in, I got mine to 24 and couldn't get any further. Then I just loaded it with R134A, and voila, frosty-cold air. Took about 20 mins from the time I cut the hose to cold air.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X