Car wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car wont start

So i went to subway for lunch. Car is fine from here to their. i get out go get my lunch and return about 5 minutes later. i turn the key to on and let the fuel pump prime as usual. Nothing wierd so far, all the dash lights light up. I go to crank it and......nothing happens. Not even a sound. It acts just like it does if you try and crank it without the clutch pressed in. any quick ideas before i call the shop to come pick it up? This is an 01 3.8 m5 if it matters.

Re: Car wont start

yea im going to clean it with some alcohol while im here they go back when im off work to give it another try. I didnt remember seeing the security light on.

Comment

Any clicking noise? Check the battery contacts make sure the cables are tight.
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

No clicking at all. I double checked all the cable connections. Radio stays playing while its trying to start which makes me think its not any kind of connection.

Comment

Does your heater fan turn off when you try to crank it? If theres not security light flashing, your starter switch could be going bad...

Comment

I havent tried to start it with the heater on....if i do so and it does or doesnt turn on, what would this tell me? i was either thinking starter switch, or im sure their is some kind of switch that tells the computer that the clutch is pressed to allow it to start. anyone heard of these going bad?

Comment

that's what i was saying. On my car, if the heater fan is on and my clutch isn't pressed in, the fan will turn off when i try to crank it...

edit. check this thread.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...starter+switch
              Last edited by onspeed; 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

sweet, im going to bring a paper clip with me to try out. if none of this works its off to the shop.

Comment

there is a switch behind the clutch. mine went out a while back.

Comment

ok little update. went to the car after work. i cleaned the key real good and tried to start it. Still the same thing. So i pulled the clutch switch off and used a paper piece of wire to loop it, and still the same thing. At that point i was so pissed at scratching up my enitre arm trying to get that thing out that i just called a tow truck. Im guessing its going to be either the starter soleniod or the starter itself. Waiting on my mechanic to give me a call today. I really cant afford much to be wrong with it right now. Any idea on prices of either of those two things?

Comment

Finally talked to the shop today and learn that my starter has taken a dump on me. No problem its only going to be 90 to fix it including parts and labor. On a side note, it was damn 80 bucks to tow it to the shop, next time i will tie a rope to the bastard and pull it up their myself if i have too.

Comment

Thats a good price for parts and labor, sounds like a honest mechanic, you often don't see to many. Did you have any signs prior that it was telling you that it was going out, like hard starts or anything?
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Now that i think back their were prolly a few small symptoms. I remeber before when trying to crank it, i would turn the key over and it would hesitate for a second before the starting action would take place. This is the only thing i remember though. I am very happy with the mechanic i currently use. He recently did a complete motor swap for me including switching all accessories, all new fluids, and a few small misc. parts for around 300 bucks. He is also good about doing small stuff for free, just saying he likes to keep the customers he has and dont mind the small stuff. As much as i like him though, hopefully i dont need to see him for a while after this lol.

Comment

I just know a few mechanics through the dealerships where my dad worked for GM for 40 years, so I take it to them and have the service writer make sure their the ones that do work on my car. Plus I always go back and talk to them. I have the lifetime warranties on my A/C compressor, starter, Alt, and water pump still since I'm the Org. owner. Good luck on yours.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X