Can I do in myself??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do in myself??

Well My Camaro needs a new timing belt and I was wonder if that was something I could change myself I've never changed one before. I was told that If it was put on wrong that I would blow my valves is there some kind of trick or should I take to a shop? Or is it easy a enough where I can take the old one off and put the new one on with no probelm?

Thanks Guys.

Re: Can I do in myself??

Are you sure you need a "timing Belt"? Our cars do not have timing belts, they have timing chains.

If you need a new timing chain and you are not very mechanically inclined, then you cannot do it yourself.

If you just need a new drive belt then that is easy to change.

What is actually wrong with the car???

Comment

if your being told you need a new timing chain why? timing chains are only typicaly replaced when changing cams, rebuild or they break

Comment

Oh sorry I guess it's the drive belt in the front of the engine the belt on the alernator it is very badly cranked all over and I need a new one and was wondering if I could change that my self?

Comment

Dude, that takes literally less than 5 mins to change lol.

15mm wrench on the tensioner pulley is the only tool needed. Push the pulley down, take off the old belt, put new belt on (routed correctly, there is a diagram under the hood) and you're done :)
          sigpic
          1997 Camaro RS A4
          2006 Chevy Colorado
          2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

yeah thats real easy. just put a socket on the tensioner. I think its like a 15 mm. and push down on it and itll loosen the belt. take it off and make sure you follow the belt routing diagram if youve never done one and just put it on like it says to and release the tensioner and itll tighten up. takes like 2 minutes to do.

Comment

oh man shodown beat me to it.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys Thought that was it so then no worries then huh? Just off with the old and on with the new? Sweet thanks Guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro98 JL View Post
                  Awesome thanks guys Thought that was it so then no worries then huh? Just off with the old and on with the new? Sweet thanks Guys.
                  yeah, its a piece of cake :tup:

just make sure u have all the ribs in place and its on correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                    yeah, its a piece of cake :tup:

just make sure u have all the ribs in place and its on correctly.

Will do thanks for your help guys:)

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro98 JL View Post
                      Oh sorry I guess it's the drive belt in the front of the engine the belt on the alernator it is very badly cranked all over and I need a new one and was wondering if I could change that my self?
                      for future reference, that's called your serpentine belt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X